ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2011 WRX has a rated capacity of 16.9 gallons. Today I put in 15 gals. I'm wondering how much more was available? What's the most anyone has put in?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I'm guessing if it holds 16.9 gallons and you put in 15, there was 1.9 more gallons available :p

·
Registered
84 Posts
That would make sense to me. I don't like to push it. I have Dash Command for my iPhone that connects to obd-2 port. Tells me how much gas I have and the range of that amount based on mpg. Still don't fully trust it yet and running out of gas sucks lol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC, gas tanks these days are designed to have space availabe for fuel vapors. Gas nozzles sense tank pressure to prevent over filling/topping off. How does all this affect total capacity is what I am wondering.
That's why I am asking "what is the most you have ever put in your tank"?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I usually fill up just before the light comes on.I don't think I've ever put in more than 15gal.

But in winter I always keep the tank half full.You never know when you might get stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I've put in just over 16.7 gallons before.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Conventional wisdom used to be that you don't want to go too far, because there's accumulated crud in the tank that you don't want to introduce into your fuel system. Do people still say that?

·
Æternum
20,888 Posts
Conventional wisdom used to be that you don't want to go too far, because there's accumulated crud in the tank that you don't want to introduce into your fuel system. Do people still say that?
How did you fill up your horse anyway, Ray?

·
48,722 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I once pushed the limit after the gas light came on (was trying to make it to an exit that had really cheap gas) and it started to sputter as I hit the offramp. I expected to fill it up close to 16.9 gallons but it stopped well short. I thought maybe it was a false trigger and hit it again but it stopped and I started to hear fluid rise the filler neck. Total only came a little higher than 16 1/2 gallons, if I recall.

Now, when the light comes on, I try to fill up within 20-30 miles.

·
48,722 Posts
I'm new here but I noticed someone always "one up's" everyone else.
Forum banter. Many of us have been going back and forth like that for years...nearly 10 years for a few of these snapperheads. Zach knows that I would kill a dragon for him.

·
Æternum
20,888 Posts
My knight in shining armor :hug:

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
I try not to go below ¼-tank, if possible.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
I don't.

Next time we cut up our tanks for scrap, I'll take a couple pictures for you guys. You'll love the anti-slosh and fuel pump cooling systems they have in place too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah I try not to go under 1/4 tank myself. Figure I want to put as little stress on the fuel pump as possible so I don't have to deal with the replacement any earlier than I have to.

·
48,722 Posts
I don't.

Next time we cut up our tanks for scrap, I'll take a couple pictures for you guys. You'll love the anti-slosh and fuel pump cooling systems they have in place too.
Got the pictures, yet? It's been almost an hour already.
I don't go under 1/8 of a tank, mostly because I'd never live down the HoneyIRanOutOfGas phone call.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts