• Not Medal

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done watching the game with Puerto Rico. Didn't look good to say the least. How do you think the US will do this year after suffering their first loss since NBA players were allowed in the first game of the olympics?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm not a basketball fan at all, but it seems that even though we have some great players on the team, basketball is very much a team sport. Do the other countries teams workout with each other a lot? I'm guessing that the US 'dream team' doesn't. Between regular season games and court dates and prison terms, yeah sure, but that doesn't leave much time learning to work as a team.

·
Registered
715 Posts
A bunch of big ego's playing together doesn't necessarily build a great team. No team unity. I think the article I read said that this was the first Olympic loss the US team has suffered since sending Pro's.

Bunch of asses should learn to play together, stop show boating, and get the friggin job done! Bunch of cocky asses that think no one in the world can touch them in their sport (even though for the most part it's true).

They deserved the loss and hopefully will learn from it. And they will still get the gold.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
This US team is garbage. It's a bunch of guys who play positions but can't play together. Every time the Olympics roll around we should just send the NBA championship team! Imagine the pistons in the olympics right now!! They would be owning everyone. Instead we have a bunch of young guys who are excellent athletes, but have no idea of how to play as a unit... despite that they will medal due only to their athletic talent!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Nothing made me feel better this weekend than to watch them get rocked.....maybe they should learn how to shoot, pass, communicate....oh wait, that's right, the nba is a one on one game...

-joe

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
this is all part of their plan;) . Lose and lose badly in exhibition and the first round. Then towards the end.... destroy the competition. That is where it counts the most just like the NBA finals.

Nah, honestly.... they look and play like they act. Young. Cept for Duncan cause he is mr. reliable.:) . The rest think its streetball and they are going to get own3d really bad if they don't play like a team. Sad, huh?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Anyone watching USA basketball?

I'm curious if anyone besides me is humiliated by the way the NBA players are representing our country? It's a joke their getting blown out by, uhh, ummm, PUERTO RICO???? This is a team built around players egos and prime time show-me-nothing. Granted, these guys are risking alot to play in the olympics. With global tensions as high as they are, terrorism at an all time high, and anti-american sentiment everywhere, i respect Iverson and company for playing in Athens. However, i figure that if you're over there, you might as well play to your talent level. You might as well show up. You might as well bring it, cause every team they play against sure as hell will. How many millions of dollars are represented on that basketball court? Puerto Rico didn't care. Lebron who? UConn could have beat that team i saw on sunday. ****, my beloved Jayhawks could have beat that so called "dream team." There was one and only dream team. 1992 was the begining, and the end. This years team is a disgrace to watch. No defense. No 3-point threat what so ever. No way they deserve the gold. I guess i am upset because WE HAVE ONLY LOST 2 GAMES IN USA BASKETBALL OLYMPIC HISTORY!!!!!!! (clarifiy: dream team era). Last night we lost our 3rd. Pathetic.

Peace,
nick.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I wanted USA to put Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, Kobe, Mcgrady, Kidd, and all the other all-stars. With a team like that USA would kick ass in the Olympics. I just think that would be fun to see. Too bad a lot of those players didn't want to play for there country.

·
Registered
225 Posts
No matter who puts on a USA jersey, they should be able to beat up the rest of the world. I don't mind losing in gymnastics. I don't care about the pole vault. I do care about basketball, and there is no reason why we should drop one single game. We should dominate everyone, regardless of if it's Shaq, Kobe, or Lebron wearing that jersey.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
npreston said:
No matter who puts on a USA jersey, they should be able to beat up the rest of the world. I don't mind losing in gymnastics. I don't care about the pole vault. I do care about basketball, and there is no reason why we should drop one single game. We should dominate everyone, regardless of if it's Shaq, Kobe, or Lebron wearing that jersey.
Why? All our players are athletes, but basketball isn't about individual athletes, it's about a team. There has to be balance. Why were the pistons able to beat the lakers in the finals? The Lakers definitely had the better basketball players, but the pistons had a great balance of defence, three point shooting, pnetration, ball movement, etc. They played better as a team. The whole needs to be better than the sum of its parts, and the US team is not. Like I said, we may be able to win just because we are so athletic, but as we have seen, we are not necessarily the best team there.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks like 28 out of 32 people were WRONG... they obviously got it together a little better towards the end, but I was never really impressed with their play against any team

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
npreston said:

[Drunk rant=]

I could really care less about b-ball, they are all over paid bastards.

I care about swimming, gymnastics, etc.

They aren't all out for the money unlike those idiot b-ball players.

if I had a middle finger smiley (which we need badly) I would use it.

[/druink rant[

·
Registered
659 Posts
Actually, since the gymnasts and swimmers are amatuers, they use these games to get endorsements because they aren't "overpaid bastards", and this is their chance to snag a bunch of endorsements and some cash as well. I'm not saying all of them are using this oppurtunity to get some endorsements, but some of them do. Since the USA men's basketball team committee needs to learn that you can't throw a bunch of guys who are all-stars and used to being the number one option on their respective teams who need constant touches every possession, you have to remember that there will be conflict, of course if you look at the Dream Team of 92, all those guys were veterans with the exception of Christian Laettener, and would take sacrifices for the good of the team, the USA team this year is all about young kids who are still early in their careers they lack maturity and a real point guard. But that still does not excuse the NBA for sending "marketable names" out there to sell some jerseys and some shoes to kids in China and Serbia. They should pick some stars but also throw in some role guys who hustle and aren't afraid to get down and do some work in the paint. We also need more time for them to prepare because even if you take some guys that aren't normally selfish, you still need time to gel and play as a cohesive unit. Alot of people are suggesting that you send the NBA champions of that year, what about some teams like San Antonio, which about 3/5ths of the team are made up of foreign players? The selection commitee should learn from this to pick a better TEAM, it's embarassing to our country to send a team that plays like crap and is only on the international stage to sell crap. Well that's pretty much my opinion of USA basketball, after all, we definently could have taken home the gold instead of the bronze. :mad:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts