ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the us rear the same as the jap STi. Like, the axels, r180 diff, hubs, etc.?
I need them to complete my r180 project in my wrx. I have a new r180, STi axels, spindels, bearings, but wrx brakes will not work. I have found some jdm brakes from STi. Are ther splines on the axels the same as us?
thanks, scott

·
6,298 Posts
Everything I've read regarding the differences between the 2 indicates that the rear ends (diffs, axles, splines, brakes) are the same. If you are doing a conversion, I'm assuming you are going with the 6MT also. If not, an aftermarket driveshaft for the rear will also be needed as the WRX and STi's are not the same.

I believe there is a guy in the WRX vs the World or in the Drag racing forums who is doing a swap, but is making his RWD only. Check in those forums and contact him, as I believe he has already completed the rear end swap.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is me. I already have a dog box, and a one piece driveshaft for 800hp. I am finished except for the brakes. I ordered a jdm rear brake set-up from vivid for about $600. Back plate, hubs, rotors, calipers, but no abs sensor wheel on hub, or sensor itself. I was thinking about loosing the abs, because I want to install a front line lock to do rwd burnouts.
I found out that rear STi brakes will clear 15" wheels. That is the only diameter wheel that drag slicks come in. I have 15" ssr in rear with 16" ssr in front. 25.5" tall dot drag tires, not radials, but wrinkle wall type, bias-ply.

·
6,298 Posts
oops...sorry. Thought it was odd that 2 folks were looking at the same kind of items.

That was you that asked about the difference in brake diameters too wasn't it?

Glad to see the STi (JDM) calipers are small enough to fit in a 15" rim so you can use the wrinkle walls. Definitely loose the ABS as it's just more weight and not really needed for the 1/4. Besides, would line lock work on a system with ABS? Not sure as I've not tried that before. Just put a new one in on my dad's drag car, which doesn't have ABS.

As usual, keep us posted on your progress and of course, your times, once you get her running!!
Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts