ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what can happen to a car if the oil filler cap is not replaced after filling up with oil.....other than oil all over engine bay and low oil levels.....I already have oil all over the place...can this cause issues with vacuum lines or oil moving in the engine to the parts that need it?

the oil level is not low enough to have tripped a light on the dash, I caught it before that happened.

More to come on this ****astic event after I talk to those responsible for my dirty engine bay, as there is hell to pay:mad:

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
I need to know what can happen to a car if the oil filler cap is not replaced after filling up with oil.....other than oil all over engine bay and low oil levels.....I already have oil all over the place...can this cause issues with vacuum lines or oil moving in the engine to the parts that need it?

the oil level is not low enough to have tripped a light on the dash, I caught it before that happened.

More to come on this ****astic event after I talk to those responsible for my dirty engine bay, as there is hell to pay:mad:
Should just cause a mess...as long as you weren't pushing the car hard you'll be alright.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I suppose there's the possibility crap could fall down the fill tube. Might want to consider an early oil change next time.

·
8,921 Posts
This is also why I don't let people do work on my car.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
How long did you drive it with it off? Was it wet/raining?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Drain all of your oil and refill it with some fresh stuff. You never know what could get down there. Also, make whoever is responsible deal with the issue. After all of that.....start changing your own oil

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright.....very slightly more calm now...

A few weeks ago I went to my dealer, where I bought the car, for some warranty stuff. While there, I had them do an oil change since it was due. Today, while on my way in to work, the washer fluid ran out, so I stopped at Advace to get some. When I pop the hood, I instantly notice something is wrong...something missing. The yellow OEM oilcap is missing! I start getting a bit mad, then realize that the engine and battery (which had been cranking slower the last few days, I had contributed to the cold) is splattered with oil.....ok, quite mad. The cap was upside down on top
of the radiator....where the mechanic placed it when filling my engine with oil.

As some of you know, I like my engine bay to be clean clean. So I am not happy at all.

I decide that if there is no real 'damage' to the car, I will take the high road and just ask the dealer for a complementary oil change for my trouble. I will clean it up myself.

I put the cap back on, filled my washer fluid, closed the hood and continued my drive to work. Due to me being mad already, I spent the drive stewing over this, getting more angry.....then realized I had not really LOOKED well in the engine bay. I got to work and popped the hood.... Now I am seeing red! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Not only is there oil on the battery, and the entire driver's side front quadrant of the engine, but the thermal liner on the underside of the hood as well as the plastic guts to the bird-catcher, and the back of the headlight housing....which means it is also on the belly pan under the engine.

So now, I am to take it to the dealer on Monday, and leave it there for 'a few days' (with a loaner) because I flipped out on the service guy and demanded replacement of the thermal liner, and complete detailing of the engine bay, which he humbly agreed to.

like I said, slightly calmer, but

edit: Yes, it has been raining and snowing in the past 2 weeks.....oil change will be done as part of the 'fix this crap' thing on monday

·
8,921 Posts

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Dude, so sorry to hear.

On a brighter note, you can throw that pos thermal liner in the trash.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Alright.....very slightly more calm now...

A few weeks ago I went to my dealer, where I bought the car, for some warranty stuff. While there, I had them do an oil change since it was due. Today, while on my way in to work, the washer fluid ran out, so I stopped at Advace to get some. When I pop the hood, I instantly notice something is wrong...something missing. The yellow OEM oilcap is missing! I start getting a bit mad, then realize that the engine and battery (which had been cranking slower the last few days, I had contributed to the cold) is splattered with oil.....ok, quite mad. The cap was upside down on top
of the radiator....where the mechanic placed it when filling my engine with oil.

As some of you know, I like my engine bay to be clean clean. So I am not happy at all.

I decide that if there is no real 'damage' to the car, I will take the high road and just ask the dealer for a complementary oil change for my trouble. I will clean it up myself.

I put the cap back on, filled my washer fluid, closed the hood and continued my drive to work. Due to me being mad already, I spent the drive stewing over this, getting more angry.....then realized I had not really LOOKED well in the engine bay. I got to work and popped the hood.... Now I am seeing red! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Not only is there oil on the battery, and the entire driver's side front quadrant of the engine, but the thermal liner on the underside of the hood as well as the plastic guts to the bird-catcher, and the back of the headlight housing....which means it is also on the belly pan under the engine.

So now, I am to take it to the dealer on Monday, and leave it there for 'a few days' (with a loaner) because I flipped out on the service guy and demanded replacement of the thermal liner, and complete detailing of the engine bay, which he humbly agreed to.

like I said, slightly calmer, but

edit: Yes, it has been raining and snowing in the past 2 weeks.....oil change will be done as part of the 'fix this crap' thing on monday
And you should ask them to install an AOS free-of-charge just to show goodwill and compensate you for your time and frustration.....worth a shot.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
The thermal liner does need to be replaced. The rest, I'd not worry about. I'd just have them change the oil, clean up the mess, and call it a day. The sump is not a pressurized part of the system so I'd not be worried.

·
8,921 Posts
It was the fill cap, not the drain plug, that was left off. ...neat gadget though. :)
I know what was left off...I'm saying he should buy that so he can do his own oil changes and be tidy about it.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I think he posted that so he can do a quick easy oil change himself next time

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
I have bought 3 different Fumoto valves, one with the extension necessary to clear my Honda's sump recess. Never had an issue with them, they have been reliable and time-savers. Worth the $20 USD easily.

·
8,921 Posts
I have bought 3 different Fumoto valves, one with the extension necessary to clear my Honda's sump recess. Never had an issue with them, they have been reliable and time-savers. Worth the $20 USD easily.
Agreed.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Thanks for the clarification...all 4 of you! LOL Sorry, though handy, this just did not compute as a solution to his problem. ....I just thought Drews was drunk again.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts