ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's a 2011 wrx base with a short throw shifter and the sticker is $26,9xx they offered me to sell of for $1 over "invoice" which I know isn't the true invoice at $25,296 + $399 doc fee that they will not budge on.

This will be my first car purchase in a long long time and just wanted to make sure I'm not getting the shaft. A dealer in California offered the same one minus the short shifter for $24,804 + $55 doc fee but is a 4 hour drive each way and I would have to rent a car and have more chances of something going wrong on the way there and home.

Any advise is appreciated.

P.s. they keep telling me how popular this car is and it will sell so quick yada yada yada which I know it well but do you think they will come down on the price? I have next to none negotiating skills so I'm thinking to just pay what their asking if its some what reasonable.

Sent from tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
$26,900+$399 docu fee?Sounds like you are being had.I paid only $24995 for my base without short shifter.

The short shifter is around $300.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$26,900+$399 docu fee?Sounds like you are being had.I paid on $24995 for my base without short shifter.

The short shifter is around $300.
$26,9xx is the sticker they offered it for $25,296 + 399 so like $25,700

Sent from tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
That doesn't sound too bad.Good deal.

$399 in docu fees is still too much.Your state must have a $400 cap on docu fees & thats why they are charging you the max possible.Try to talk them into lowering it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That doesn't sound too bad.Good deal.

$399 in docu fees is still too much.Your state must have a $400 cap on docu fees & thats why they are charging you the max possible.Try to talk them into lowering it.
I tried to with my rookie negotiating skills and it didn't work out. He said its a mandatory fee that even employees pay if they buy a car there, which I don't believe.

Sent from tapatalk.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
That is not really being 'taken' but not really a steal either. $25,700 is a fair price, that is basically what rage paid plus the abnormally high doc fee. If you have negotiating skills, you may be able to get that price down a bit, but that can be hard..... you could also try to keep that price and add some extras.... like 'throw in some oil-changes' and the all weather mats/cargo net/other accessories you may want.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
that is ridiculous.So the dealer is essentially arguing that it costs him $400 to enter the details in a computer.

You may also have to pay for registration & plates.Now that should be a fixed fee.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just tried again and he told me is a state thing that everyone has to pay that... Still don't know if I believe them but what can I do.

Sent from tapatalk.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is the short throw a must for you? is 8 hours of driving and a car rental worth $836. I think if you didnt mind the drive(you will like it on the way home) you can put a short throw on ur car and pay for gas for less than $836

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Yes everyone has to pay documentation fees.Some dealers may waive it ,which is rare.But the dealer can decide how much to charge you.Ask him if the fee includes registration & plates?If not,ask him if he can include it in the fee.

Otherwise there isn't all that much that you can do,other than asking for a fee oil change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd walk. That's too much.

If they want your business for real, they'll lower the price once you reach the front door.

Good luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes everyone has to pay documentation fees.Some dealers may waive it ,which is rare.But the dealer can decide how much to charge you.Ask him if the fee includes registration & plates?If not,ask him if he can include it in the fee.

Otherwise there isn't all that much that you can do,other than asking for a fee oil change.
Registration was included. I took the deal and the grand total was $27,780 out the door. I'm happy and it was under the 28k limit I had in the back of my head. I didn't have to end up trading my truck in for 10k and I found a buyer that bought it for 16k so I had some money to play with.

Id post some pics but just picture a white base model and you have mine.
Sent from tapatalk.

·
Registered
280 Posts
100% Haggle-Free New Car Price Quotes from Local Dealers - TrueCar is what I used to see where my price falls. I'd say if you can get it close to the *actual* invoice then its a pretty good deal (since the car is in high demand), but you're saying its not? Hopefully you aren't letting them see you panic over it. You'll never negotiate with em if they know how bad you want it ;) Also, def mention the other dealership and price. I don't see how they wouldn't try to get close to matching that. I wouldn't jump on anything hastily unless you're really picky and its exactly what you want. There are and will be more. Good luck!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does the base not come with a MPG display by the clock? I just have temp.

Sent from tapatalk.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts