ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking at crucial racing's website that claims the best uppipes partially because there is no egt bung because the sensor disrupts the flow of gases. Is there anything wrong with putting a resistor on the egt and leaving it out? I heard the utec uses that sensor for its readings, is this true? Also i read a post in nasioc where alot of people were saying an uppipe without a flex WILL leak and that a flex is needed, is this bs? sorry for the overload just trying to get some answers before i go through the hell of installing one

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I own Crucial Racing Systems. We started the company because we felt we could make better parts than were currently available and incorporate features into parts to substantially enhance performance rather than appearance.

To answer your questions: First, the EGT sensor is there to protect the turbo from failure of the catalytic converter in the uppipe. Were that cat to fail, your turbo would be damaged so Subaru put an EGT sensor in the pipe. Onec the cat is gone, you don't need it anymore. It disrupts gas flow and poses a potential failure risk to the turbo in itself were it to fail.

Plenty of people have installed Crucial Racing Systems uppipes and not experienced leaks. A pipe with a flex joint may leak as easily as a non-flex pipe if the flanges are not true (perfectly flat) and a flex joint will eventually fail. The probability of it failing is far lower than some people would have you believe, though.

The reason we don't have a flex joint is the disruptive effect it has on exhaust gas flow. Nearly every one of our uppipe users is exceptionally pleased after installing our uppipe. It is optimized in every way to enhance gas flow and turbo spool up and to provide the power you're looking for.

Check these threads:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61929&highlight=crucial

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57154&highlight=uppipe

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57027&highlight=crucial

BTW, that avatar is disturbing.

X
www.crucialracing.com

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The uppipe EGT thermistor has nothing to do with the UTEC. It simply provides the stock ECU with a signal to determine if a catalyst is present.

-Jim

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I'm sorry, but I provided the post for technical purposes. While I am trying to gain vendor status on the site, the administrator and I have not yet made "the deal" (where are you TIm?) so I cannot make commercial posts here but at wrxfanatics, I can. :)

Cheap (304 SS, uncoated, warped flanges) uppipes are a dime a dozen. Besides, what's most important, price or value?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i meant the best price on YOUR product, which possibly is the BEST uppipe for a wrx as you claim on your website (dont quote me on that lol) haha what i want is the best uppipe because i really dont want any leaks ever. thanks for all the info

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
PPMotorsports said:
The uppipe EGT thermistor has nothing to do with the UTEC. It simply provides the stock ECU with a signal to determine if a catalyst is present.

-Jim
I have heard the E.G.T sensor will put your car into limp mode if it reads excess temps in the U/P.

Based on that couldnt it be useful for keeping your pistons from meltdown if you hit say above 1650-1700deg.?

inquiring minds wanna know

h/j off

Shotgun

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
It's to protect your turbo from a melting cat and that's all it does. If you were ready to melt pistons, your engine would be throwing CELs all over the place for other reasons. Lean run comes to mind first. I really can't imagine such a scenario though if you have any kind of engine management.

As far as pricing goes, Daddy's SCC and Oakos carry the uppipe. Feel free to shop around, DeAdSoMaLi.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The EGT will eventually set off a CEL if it is installed and functional on a catless uppipe anyway. There is absolutely no use for it without that cat in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts