Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I keep on doing searches but I fail to find a definitive awnser to my questions, so I just will keep on posting, hehe.

With an MRT Turboback I was wondering which Uppipe will be good for me.

My budget for this item is $200. I don't exactly understand this cat problem. I don't know if this is right, but with my turboback I still have one cat left and its in the uppipe, correct? I want to pass emissions with no problems what so ever.

Also, in one of my searches, I noticed a flex/nonflex uppipe issue. Some say that flex is physically weak, some say it never produces leaks and is easy to install. What is the deal with flex joints?

To summarize I am looking for a $200 (at most) uppipe that will work with my MRT turboback, produce no emissions problems, and is reliable with still the WHP + reduction of boost lag gains that I read about.

The shop plans on asking for $300 for installation, this sounds right?

Thanks a lot fellas,

-Alan

·
Registered
20 Posts
alan,

if you can find a fair priced flex pipe, i'd go w/ that.

its about a 1 foot piece of pipe... any uppipe w/ actually do.

your concern w/ an uppipe is FITMENT.

if you search uppipe leaks around any boards i'm sure you'll find a lot of people have them.

good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Should only be $200 max. for install for an uppipe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cool. When you visit you can stop by TurboXS in Gaithersburg which is about 30 miles from DC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
$300 is too much. I assume the labor rate is $100 per hour (thus 3 hours work).

Do a gutted up-pipe which will be considerably less than your budget, and will fit perfectly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
02WhiteWRX said:
Cool. When you visit you can stop by TurboXS in Gaithersburg which is about 30 miles from DC.
hehe I live 10 min away from TurboXS :).

-Alan

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I guess now my questions are as follows:

1) Which uppipe will provide a perfect fit in junction with my MRT turboback?

2) What is the deal with emissions? I can get any uppipe and I will be fine?

Thanks,

-Alan

·
Registered
136 Posts
Your down pipe and the up-pipe are seperated by the turbocharger; there are no compatability issues here. Any made up-pipe should work-as was previously stated, the issue to be concerned with is fitment, meaning if it's well made, it will fit correctly and not likely to leak. As for emissions, you are removing a cat and it is technically illegal. But it is difficult to see, so you may get by the visual (if you even have one) and the cat in your MRT may very well get past the sniff portion.
-Ray

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
ccdelro said:
$300 is too much. I assume the labor rate is $100 per hour (thus 3 hours work).

Do a gutted up-pipe which will be considerably less than your budget, and will fit perfectly.
that's CRAZY!!! :eek: even the subaru dealers, who are 80% more expensive than typical mechanics around here only charge $80.

you should be able to have it done for $50 pretty easily. i had my downpipe, uppipe and cat back all installed for only $280 dollars.

dR

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
dark_rex said:
that's CRAZY!!! :eek: even the subaru dealers, who are 80% more expensive than typical mechanics around here only charge $80.

you should be able to have it done for $50 pretty easily. i had my downpipe, uppipe and cat back all installed for only $280 dollars.

dR
I dunno DR, I've read quite a few posts where God says he charges something like $200 and throws the dp in for free, since the up is so much more of a PITA to install. I don't think I've ever seen anyone quote a price as low as $50-$80, or I probably wouldn't have done it myself.

In fact, the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
If I'm reading correctly you already have taken out all your post-turbo cats?

If so, then you're not likely to pass emissions regardless of what you do with your uppipe - but ANY aftermarket uppipe is removing a catalyst and can have nothing but a negative effect on your tailpipe emissions. If you pull the uppipe cat you MUST have some sort of cat downstream of the turbo if you have any hopes of passing emissions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DR: I donno where you live, but I hear that the uppipe is on average a 3 hour job. If it was $90 then thats $30 bucks an hour? I don't think any places around me charge something like that. So I'll ask for $200 for install, I guess.

So my turboback has no cats in it right? I don't think I have taken an emissions test yet, and I'm at 10k miles. When that time comes, regardless of uppipe, what the heck should I do that is an easy way to pass it? Is bribing generally accepted at shady-looking places, or can that get me in a lot of trouble? lol

Thanks fellas,

-Alan

·
Registered
139 Posts
amob02 said:
So my turboback has no cats in it right? I don't think I have taken an emissions test yet, and I'm at 10k miles. When that time comes, regardless of uppipe, what the heck should I do that is an easy way to pass it? Is bribing generally accepted at shady-looking places, or can that get me in a lot of trouble? lol
That's why I always keep my stock exhaust components stored in my garage. It's not that big of a job to swap them back in for testing once every 2 or 4 years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know this is a tad OT but is the stock exhaust just unscrew, screw? Anything more complicated than that? Can stuff go work really?

Thanks,

-Alan

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
sorry guys, i meant $50 per hour as opposed to $100. :eek:

sorry for the confusion. i only meant to say $100 per hour is REALLY steep

dR

·
Registered
139 Posts
amob02 said:
I know this is a tad OT but is the stock exhaust just unscrew, screw? Anything more complicated than that? Can stuff go work really?
Exhaust is bolt-on stuff. The nuts and bolts can be a little tight sometimes, but we're talking a max of maybe 9-10 bolts to remove the whole turbo-back system. A decent socket wrench and combination-wrench set would be all it takes. You probably at least need a set of ramps to get under there comfortably, but it's not all that rough to do, every couple of years.

note: I'm not sure if "stuff can go work really" though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL... i meant "stuff go wrong"
took me awhile to figure out what I was talking about.

-Alan

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to fully awnser my own post.

I called up Cobb today to ask about their accessecu and my CAI. OT, but they said they have a specific map for my CAI + turboback, so YAY to that.

Anyway, at the end of the conversation, and interesting thing came up. The guy I was talking to said that he recommended that I save my money on the uppipe and just keep the stock one with the cat. He said that the $500 (install included) is not worth the 500rpm lowering for boost spoolage, if I am running the stock turbo.

And I will be running the stock turbo for quite some time now, so he is right! I guess the money can go to a body kit or some other bling :rolleyes: (lol).

thanks Cobb!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I dunno, I think a catless uppipe is a worthwhile modifacation, it lowers your EGTs and provides noticeable driveability improvements.
I think it a MUST for anyone using an auxillary boost controller.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts