Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im ready to get a Uppipe My question is should I get a UpPipe with a EGT Bung or Just a Flat out one?

Does the car need the EGT sensor or will a resistor Fix will do?
I wont be installing a EGT sensor. So my concern is will I need to buy a Uppipe with a Hole for the Sensor Or can I just get one without it. And does the ECU need to read any Temp from the EGT sensor if I dont buy a uppipe without one!

I hope I make sense.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
208 Posts
1) You shouldn't be modding the car without an EGT gauge installed too

2) The resistor fix works fine for most people, I did it yesterday and no CELs yet. Austin claims a friend of his has had it on for thousands of miles with no ill effects.

3) The probe seems to be there with the sole function of monitoring the catalytic convertor temps to ensure that it doesn't slag and crumble into your turbo.

4) I've yet to see compelling evidence to suggest that this EGT probe is used in tuning of the engine, I could be wrong on this

5) see #1

If you don't have an EGT sensor in the up-pipe and none in the exhaust manifold, how the hell do you know what your EGTs are? You don't. I highly advise against it. That being said, my EGTs dropped 80C with a gutted up-pipe and Scoobysport downpipe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx supermarkus!

About the CAT's I wont have any in couple of weeks.
I got a catless down pipe (not installed).I will get my Uppipe installed at the same time with the turbo back Exhaust.
I will be doing the complete Exhaust together. So getting a EGT sensor on the Uppipe is my main concern.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would get an uppipe without the factory EGT. The factory EGT doesn't help you in anyway. It monitors the cat in the uppipe and if it gets too hot, then the computer starts to pull fuel to cool it down. I'm running the 2.2kohm resistor and it works just fine. I also have a Defi EGT gauge with the sensor mounted in the manifold.

If you're going to be catless, you'll need to pick up a MIL eliminator from http://www.ponyexpressperformance.com/wrxmileliminator.html

·
Registered
130 Posts
supermarkus - You recommend an EGT gauge for modding, but would it be necessary for a catless system running only at stock boost levels?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Hot Dog.
You are running the EGT sensor on what manifold? Header?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Its on the passenger side manifold...the cylinder towards the front of the car. I think this is cylinder #3? The probe is about 2" from the block.

redwag: You only need an EGT if you're actually tuning the car (i.e. modifying timing/fuel/boost).

Heres a picture of the mainfold on the car. I should have taken one with it off, but I forgot. This is looking up past the oil filter and cross pipe:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok check this Out A friend told me this What u guys Think!

He told me " Its ok If you dont get the EGT bung on the UpPipe because eventually its gonna go bad on you cause of the High temps on that Catless UpPipe. When u are ready to get headers Just Get yourself a Aftermarket EGT sensor With a Gauge And Install it On the Manifold Next to #3 Cylinder.

What U guys think? Is he COrrect :rolleyes:

·
Registered
563 Posts
He's totally wrong about the catless pipe. The EGT's on a catless pipe will be far lower than the stock pipe. EGT sensors don't go bad because of the heat...they are made to withstand very high temperatures. Also, you don't have to wait to get headers to install an EGT sensor. If you're going to do any tuning of fuel or boost, then an EGT gauge will be your best friend.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for your Help Hot Dog.

Im gonna keep the UpPipe I have without the FActory EGT. I ordered the Cel Fix For the Catless Exhaust, And them Ill get me a EGT gauge.

Here the pic of the UpPipe

·
Registered
208 Posts
redwag said:
supermarkus - You recommend an EGT gauge for modding, but would it be necessary for a catless system running only at stock boost levels?
I got the EGT because I like to monitor how the engine performs, not because I wanted to kick up boost. I would never say that you should get an EGT gauge ONLY if you were tuning the car. I think they're a great bit of kit to have in any car to monitor the engine performance, ideally you'd want to supplement it with a wide band O2 sensor. Is it absolutely necessary with just a turbo back, catless? No. Good practice? Yes.

And to corroborate what hotdog was saying, the 2.2kohm resistor works well, just make sure you have one rated to at least 1/2 watt. I'm working on making a plug and play one out of my old EGT sensor harness that's weather proof and clean looking.

FWIW, my EGTs are up to 80C lower now that I have a catless up-pipe. 5th gear WOT i see ~720C where I used to see as high as 800C.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quicksilvr said:
What uppipe is that? The welds look really nice.
Its a GT-SPEC UpPipe. Mark sells them On ebay and on his website www.gtspec.com
Excellent Quality and Price. I paid about $120 No Egt Bung.
$140 If you want a EGT bung

·
Registered
28 Posts
What are the pipe and flanges made out of? 304 or 321 and is that the one with that thing inside of it. If so can you order it with out the tube inside of it?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
quicksilvr said:
What are the pipe and flanges made out of? 304 or 321 and is that the one with that thing inside of it. If so can you order it with out the tube inside of it?
Full 304 stainless steel upppie. Yes and it does have the tube inside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts