Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did an uppipe install a few days ago (STI uppipe)......and there are no leak problems for sure. A shop did extensive tests to prove it. Whenever I get to really high rpms or when I get on the gas (expecially when launching it) the car makes a screeching noise which I can't figure out. I'm not loosing any power when this happens but the noise is so irritating I can't stand it. I asked a shop that has been doing work on many WRX's and they said this noise is really common on many WRX's that do an uppipe install. I did a search and a memeber with the name "BobbyD" seemed to be experiencing the same problem as me. I still don't know where the noise is coming from and how to explain it. If anyone has experienced or heard about this same screeching noise at high rpms after doing an uppipe install let me know where the sound is coming from and why.
Personally I think it's coming from the turbo spooling but the sound is too loud.
Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
You have a classic up pipe leak. My leak was so small that it would close when the engine got hot. However, when the car was under boost while still cold, I would get the horrible screeching noise you described. I don't think these leaks have to be big enough to be detectable in order for them to make irritating noises. You'll need to re-install your up pipe and do like God said, either remove the turbo brackets, use aftermarket gaskets, or both. I used graffite gaskets from this thread http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232506&pagenumber=1 They worked like a charm, now I can merge with traffic in the morning without people staring at my car. Good luck!

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Now I know what an uppipe leak sounds like- I hope i never hear it;) . I do get the nice turbo spool and "whistle" however.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
yeah those mechanics are A$$es, one charged me 150 bucks to look for my leak cause i didnt have time, and he told me it was my samcos, which is bs...when i got home from school the next time i could feel the gas blowing out my uppipe gasket on the manifold side....so dont let other people work on your car cause they will just steal your money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't use new gaskets cause the shop told me the old ones would work fine. I'll order some new gaskets and have them put in. I figured it was a leak but wasn't sure.
Thanks for the help guys and I'll definitely have new gaskets put in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Screetch

I got the screeching noise...mine has been doing it for a long time :). Its pretty loud, but not really that loud, u can only hear it if you have the radio off. I used to think it was very loud, but my friends say its not that loud. Anyways, it definatelly doesnt take away from performance from my car, ive raced stock WRX's and smoked them by more than 4 cars. Personally i really like the whistle it makes, all my friends think it sounds bad ass when i floor it, whethere they hear it from outside the car or from inside. If it bothers u...then fix it, it doesnt bother me, i like it, and i cant see any performance hit, so im keeping it ;).

-Bobby D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey bobbyd yours sounds more like a Downpipe to turbo leak like I had, it's not nearly as loud as the uppipe leak. I fixed it anyway.-James

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Re: The Screetch

BobbyD said:
I got the screeching noise...mine has been doing it for a long time :). Its pretty loud, but not really that loud, u can only hear it if you have the radio off. I used to think it was very loud, but my friends say its not that loud. Anyways, it definatelly doesnt take away from performance from my car, ive raced stock WRX's and smoked them by more than 4 cars. Personally i really like the whistle it makes, all my friends think it sounds bad ass when i floor it, whethere they hear it from outside the car or from inside. If it bothers u...then fix it, it doesnt bother me, i like it, and i cant see any performance hit, so im keeping it ;).

-Bobby D
Screech or whistle or both? The whistle is normal when opening the second cat. Screech wouldn't be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BobbyD,
The noise that is coming from my uppipe is loud and annoying so I want to fix immediately. I guess your sound might be a little different sounding than mine. Cause if you have the same sound that is coming from my leak you would want to fix it too.

BTW is your noise a screeching noise or more of a whistle? I think that might be the difference between our leaks. If my leak was a whistle I don't think I would mind it as much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you ever heard someone do the trick where they stick a blade of grass between their two thumbs, then put their mouth to their hands and blow really hard and it makes a loud sound? Kind of like a kazoo gone bad? Thats an up pipe leak. Its much more abrasive and annoying than normal engine sounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts