Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, hopefully someone can help me out here :)

I have an '03 wrx, stock right now, and the first thing I'm going to get is the turboxs stage2. This will include a catless downpipe and one high-flow cat...leaving me with the stock uppipe.

Turboxs said that this won't even throw a CEL, and will pass emissions, but they did say that if I get a catless uppipe I have a CEL and might not pass emissions.

Eventually I'll be going up to the stage 4, which includes a catless uppipe, so I thought it might be a good idea to get one when I get the stage2 (everyone says to replace the uppipe first from what I've read). Does anyone know if I'll be able to pass emissions with that setup (one highflow cat)? I know I can get a CEL fix.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
The uppipe cat is used for cold start emision help, your vehicle will be warmed up before any testing so the uppipe should have no influence on "normal" emission testing. Get the uppipe, you'll be removing the downpipe anyways- save some labor for yourself. I can't really think of a good reason to keep the uppipe. A catless uppipe will net you ~ 10hp/torque, 300 rpm quicker spool, lower egts, and no risk of the cat coming aprt and destroying your turbo.

Big Sky

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Now I just need to find a good one to get, but I'll probably just get the turboxs one since I'll be buying their upgrades already.

If I have one high flow cat, I can get a CEL fix like the one from pony express performance right?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
If your talking about a cel fix for the uppipe, it's simply a 10 cent resistor (I'm sure a search would turn up which one) that you put in the egt harness. The cel fix for the cat inefficiency cel is more troublesome- I'm not familiar w/ Turboxs exhaust, but if it comes w/ a high flow cat they likely situate it above the O2 sensor to prevent this cel- not sure though.

Big Sky

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'm using a 2.2k ohm 1/4 watt resistor in the EGT harness for my uppipe CEL.

I'm using a MIL Eliminator from Pony Express Performance for my p0420 CEL (with TXS exhaust).

·
Registered
559 Posts
Why does TurboXS stage kits leave the Cat in the uppipe??
I think it should be the first mod after boost gauge..
Why TXS says to a person not to buy a cattles uppipe cause could throw a cell,that is to pass emissions.
BS.
This makes no sense =:)( :confused:
Why?
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told by Turboxs..."Usually the full turbo back exhaust will not throw a CEL as long as you keep the UP-pipe stock. This was the main reason that I recommend you stay away from the Up-pipe if you plan to pass the Obd2 inspection in MD. "

They've been extremely helpful with any questions I've had about getting a CEL or passing emissions. I plan on keeping my stock parts anyway, just in case I have any kind of problems when it's time for emissions.

Looks like I'll be getting a catless uppipe, and a turboback exhaust with one high flow cat, and doing the two CEL fixes.

Thanks for all your help :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Kharne - This was the same thing that I got from them, and now I am at stage 2 with the stock uppipe still in place. Now I wanna jump to stage 4 and I am now being told that I have to get rid of the uppipe cats, leaving me with no cats.....

Aparently, it is a bad idea to upgrade the turbo while running the stock uppipe.... I am thinking of calling TurboXS to see what they think..but then, they do include an upipe fir their stage 4, so I am thinking that I might just need to upgrade...

·
Registered
8 Posts
You may not even need the CEL fixes. I have full TXS turboback exhaust, uppipe, MBC. for the first week after installing it i got a CEL, then went away and never returned since...

Funny how some get CELs and some don't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.