Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
A leak will sound like a game show buzzer kinda... or imagine the sounds of metal fan blades hitting a housing and it getting faster and faster as you pull to red line. If all you hear is massive amount of air rushing, then welcome to the real world :) The up-pipe does make a significant difference in how it sounds as boost builds.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Man it's so hard from what you're describing. A shhhh to me mean it's a constant sound that just kinda sounds like air rushing.... a leak really sounds more like a buzzer, or you'll hear a loud rumble at idle and it will be kinda like <wom> <wom> <wom> as each stroke of the motor takes place. Another way is to simply get back under your car, take the heat shield off of the lower manifold area and feel around the up-pipe for leaks. Get someone to rev it while you're under it. You'll know pretty quick!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll be honest with you guys. It's hard to say what BobbyD's problem is from the description, but one thing I can tell you in my humble opinion: the change of sound before and after up-pipe was enormously different in my car. Before you'd barely hear a turbo whine or it building boost other that the engine racing madly... now I can distinctly hear the whine as well as a sound like a massive vacuum cleaner! That is just to emphasize a point that it should comfort people who put the up-pipe on to know you're going to hear it build boost a lot more so than stock. But, listen for odd sounds that don't belong in a motor, like loud rumbling as in you are running without a muffler, or like metal hitting again metal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.