ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered some goodies from kronos performance. Hopefully they arrive next week. Ive been researching on doing the install of an uppipe downpipe and catback and just had a question. To install the uppipe I read that you need to drop down the exhaust manifold. If so do I need to replace those gaskets as well?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any time you crack those apart its said to be good habit to replace the gasket(relatively cheap anyway) because it never seals the same again.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
If you break the connection, replace the gasket

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Depends on how you want to do it. There are several ways to do this install.

I personally WOULD NOT remove the turbo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya I did some research and pulling the turbo and changing the uppipe from the top sounds quite hanus. So Changing it from the bottom obviously requires exhaust manifold removal like the video shows. I'm hoping these gaskets are easy to get napa maybe?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ouch really? Any aftermarket ones that are better/thicker. I ordered grimspeed gaskets for all other connections.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
It's my personal opinion that no "extra thick gaskets" are really worth it. Subaru gaskets work just fine. They've been putting them on hundreds of thousands of cars, and they aren't having exhaust leak problems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good. Ordered the grimspeed gaskets because they were "there" on the site just a click away. haha

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like I will contact my scooby dealer for the others, It'd be a exhaust manifold to head gasket is what I should ask for?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So after I change my uppipe i just hook the egt plug back up becuz its there or I do the 2.2k resistor trick?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Mendowagon said:
So after I change my uppipe i just hook the egt plug back up becuz its there or I do the 2.2k resistor trick?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Any time you crack those apart its said to be good habit to replace the gasket(relatively cheap anyway) because it never seals the same again.
Do you mean it never seals the same again with the same gaskets, or it never seals the same even with new gaskets?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think what he means is it never will seal the same without new gaskets. Therefore if you use the old gaskets it will leak.

By the way went to napa today and was able to get the exhaust manifold to head gaskets $5.50 each not a subaru specific part. Picked up a can of MAF cleaner as well.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I did my uppipe a few months ago and replaced with all GrimmSpeed gaskets. No leaks whatsoever and they are less expensive than OEM. Check out my uppipe thread here: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/134345474-what-best-catless-uppipe-2002-wrx.html

On your question "So after I change my uppipe i just hook the egt plug back up becuz its there or I do the 2.2k resistor trick?"... If your uppipe comes with a bung for the egt sensor and you don't want to use it you will have to get a bolt to plug the hole and do the 2.2k ohm resistor "mod".

Cleaning the MAF is a good maintenance item to do also.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts