Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I will soon be in the market for an uppipe for my stock 02 WRX, and not only am I concerned about fit, but also long term durability.

I notice that the Vishnu uppipe has reinforcements at the flanges, where most other pipes do not. Is the Uppipe in the WRX a stressed member? If so, I would think these reinforcements are necessary for long term resistance to cracking at the flange.

Who thinks this is important?

Thanks,
BC

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The Vishnu uppipe doesn't look any stronger than the Godspeed uppipe. How much does it cost?

As for the uppipe being a structural member, I'm inclined to say yes. The turbo is supported by the uppipe and the exhaust. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

-Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
black99gt said:
Hmm i looked into both up-pipes..... Gods is the best IMO. Thats why i bought his.
What did you like better about Gods uppipe?

Price, construction, material, looks?

I believe the Vishnu pipe uses the best materials(314 Stainless vs. 304). I'm not sure which other pipes have reinforced flanges either.

The PDE pipe seems nice because of the mount for the factory heatshield.

SO many choices!

BC

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've only got once piece of advice to throw out here.

Choose your uppipe wisely.

The most important factor here should be customer service first, followed by quality second. Believe me when I say that. A fantastic looking uppipe is useless if it doesn't fit. And an improperly fitting uppipe will cost you lots of money in the long run. Gaskets are anything but cheap. Time is even more expensive. God help you if your not doing the work yourself, you will get raped if you have a shop attempt to fix these problems for you.

All you folks thinking about doing an uppipe, think hard and long. When everything goes right, it's a great mod, but god help you when things don't. The pipe is dirt cheap compared to all the other associated costs. I'm not knocking anybody. Just be prepared for the worst, thats all. Newbies especially, it's easy to get caught up in what people are talking about.

-jb

·
Registered
228 Posts
did you buy a GOOD up-pipe yourself?

My top 2 choices were Godspeed and Vishnu. I chose Godspeed. If i have a problem with mine, well i will swap back to stock and have god help me out and when i go there to buy my Kit from him :D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
jimb,

Sorry you're having a rough time with your uppipe install.

I would have never paid some one to do it in the first place. The only person I trust to do work on my car is me.

I know there are problems removing the nuts the first time because they get very stuck from the heat/cool, expansion/ contraction of the metal.

I'm also curious as to what brand of uppipe you got. The flatness of both end flanges is clutch. I'll probably also put both gaskets on when I do this mod, although original gaskets often fits well if you are careful. Working on a car can be a biatch if you have trouble. Especially if the car is your daily driver. I'm not yanking my WRX off of the road until I get my Beetle running. I plan to pull her off the road on a Friday night and plan on spending the whole w/e on the car.

I'm prepared to torch and or cut bolts take care of everything.

I'll also be getting my Subaru services manuals before I touch my car to this extent. I'll be following the manuals instructions for replacing the uppipe to insure that I use the best method possible.

God,

Do you do a flatness check on you flanges and/or a test fit of some kind on a fixture?

-Jim

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, I thought the pipe I got was a good one, it was highly recommended by alot of people, including the 'highly recommended' shop.

The pipe just doesn't fit... So, I'm shopping around for a new pipe.

jb

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know my way around cars. Breaking and/or extracting bolts, retapping, etc isn't the problem. Just isn't seating correctly at the lower flange. The flanges are flat. I haven't done a side by side comparison yet, but I'd wager money that the angle of the lower flange is incorrect. That or an angle in the bend isn't correct. I've had two use two gaskets at the lower flange to stop it from leaking audibly.

jb

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
jimb,

Why are you refraining from warning us about a bad product?

As americans, we are the consumer and can choose from a number of products. We all know your word isn't gospel and will form our own conclusions.

"Exhaust leaks are normal on modified cars." That is the most crack-ass comment that I've ever heard. Sound like this manufacturer is no good at all.

-Jim

·
Registered
94 Posts
That statement was made by the vendor and installer, not the manufacturer, who are two separate parties.

jb

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
jimb,

tell us who made the pipe! wtf?! like i want to get stuck with the same probs you did!! isn't that the purpose of a forum like this?

dR

·
1,911 Posts
Well wait to see how the vendor or manufacturer takes care of the problem. If they take care of it and JB is happy then no need to badmouth a company. Someone had a problem with mine once and I sent him a brand new one. He srnt me the old one back a week later and was happy. Still have no idea why the first one didn't work since yes we do have a fixture and check all the flanges before they leave here.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
That's a good point, Dan, but he doesn't seem to getting anywhere with them.

I can't really set a hunk of steal getting damaged during shipping of anything, but maybe if you put both ends down and jumped up and down on the middle long enough it would change the angle.

:D

The more I read your posts, the more I know that Godspeed Motorsports is a reputable establishment. I'm saving for a house right now before I get my service manuals and plan on doing the uppipe, but you can count on me for business when it comes time to yank that freaking pre-turbo cat and put in a nice piece of smooth flowing steal. I'm sure your making some good money on them badboys, God and I'm glad if you are.

-Jim

·
Registered
554 Posts
I can't really see a hunk of steal getting damaged during shipping of anything, but maybe if you put both ends down and jumped up and down on the middle long enough it would change the angle.
hehe, have you ever received anything from UPS? I think they hired the Samsonite monkey to test boxes.

I would like to know the company also, I plan on buying one in a couple of months. Pretty good chances it will be from Dan because of his email support from buying a Blitz DTT DC from him.

Good Luck on that pipe,
Justin

·
Registered
94 Posts
Working with the vendor on the issue. Finally got an email that was at least an attempt at a resolution.

jb

1 - 20 of 29 Posts