Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me fill you all in on what i want to do. All i want as far as moding goes is get a uppipe, a downpipe that dont replace the midpipe (cause im keeping a cat somewhere), and a cat back exhaust. I dont plan on moding any further. No MBC's....no ECU tuning etc etc.

My question is about upipes and the inconsistency in price that i just cant seem to grasp. Here is a list i have compiled of uppipes.....there may be more but this is what i found:

1. Helix Uppipe...............................189.99.........Flex
2. Turbo XS.....................................190.00........No Flex
3. HKS.............................................139.00........No Flex
4. Perrin..........................................225.00........No Flex
5. Exhaust Depot............................185.00........Optional
6. Vishnu.........................................275.00........Flex
7. B&B.............................................229.00........No Flex
8. Avo.............................................299.00.........No Flex
9. Godspeed...................................199.00.........No Flex

My first question is why is the prices so different? They all perform the same service? Are they better built, better quality etc etc.

Second would be.......which one would you go with in my situation. Im 100% sure i dont want to add bigger turbos etc later on.

Of course that HKS for 139.00 is yelling my name cause im a cheap a$$. But i dont want junk either. I dont want boost leaks etc etc. I just want a product that works.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You'll get varying opinions on up pipes, but in my opinion, theyre all the same (as far as performance is concerned -- I don't know about the durability).

I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about the HKS up pipe, and it's a whole lot cheaper than the rest. If you insist on aftermarket, I say you might as well go with that.

Look up the instructions for gutting the catalytic converter out of the stock up pipe. Best option by far in my book. $50~ for an up pipe and you can sell your old one for the same when you're done. It's a bit of work, but for the $150 I saved it was well worth it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
everyone says you need a circular saw, i dont havea freakin circular saw. can i just use hand tools and a dremel?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts