Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I install an aftermarket uppipe that has a bung for the stock EGT sensor and stay with stock boost (no boost controllers), will I now need an aftermarket EGT gauge?
I realize that it is always good to be able to monitor EGT's, but will the new uppipe create a situation where the stock EGT sensor might get inaccurate temperature readings and possibly allow engine damage? I'm wondering this because I 've read that EGT readings at the aftermarket uppipe may be up to 200 degrees off (cooler). :confused: Thanks.:D

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
theoretically it will be cooler so you don't have to worry but if you do any other upgrades and you're a hard driver you should definitely consider an EGT gauge.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Blazin'!:D Anyone else have thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
i have boost, egt, and oil pressure. the Oil pressure is just something on the side i guess. I still haven't hooked everything up yet but hey would you be interested in buying all my gauges off me? PM me if you're interested, they're autometer sports comp gauges and the only thing that's been used is the boost gauge and that's about 2 weeks old. Reason why I'm selling it is beause I might go for a Defi or Greddy setup.

·
895 Posts
DuckRide said:
On the same topic, what are the guages you typically use? I was thinking of gettin Boost, EGT and A/F
i have autometer sport comp boost egt and oil temp...only the boost gauge is hooked up right now

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oil Temp Vs A/F

Do you ppl feel that oil temp is more useful over A/F? I wouldn't even know what to infer from a fine tuned oil temp as opposed to the oil temp guage that is already there in the cluster.

Duckride

·
895 Posts
Re: Oil Temp Vs A/F

DuckRide said:
Do you ppl feel that oil temp is more useful over A/F? I wouldn't even know what to infer from a fine tuned oil temp as opposed to the oil temp guage that is already there in the cluster.

Duckride
more accurate, lets you know when the car is warmed up so you can start driving hard. also lets you know when its getting too hot. the wrx doenst have an oil temp gauge, just a water temp i think, and its very very inaccurate from what i can tell

·
895 Posts
God said:
Extremely innacurate. It's at operating temp when my Defi oil temp gauge hasn't moved yet. I like to know my oil temps especially good for track use.
i know its probly diff on your car, but what are the normal operating oil temps you see? like when is it ok to go fast and when do you have to back off?

·
Registered
21 Posts
oil pressure

OIL PRESSURE

Definition: The amount of pressure created in an engine's oil system by the oil pump. A certain amount of oil pressure is needed to circulate oil throughout the engine and to maintain adequate lubrication. Low oil pressure or loss of pressure is dangerous because it can lead to expensive engine damage. A low oil level in the oil pan, oil leaks, dirty oil, diluted oil (with gasoline), too low a viscosity oil, a plugged oil pickup screen or oil filter, a worn oil pump or worn main bearings can all contribute to low oil pressure. Complete loss of oil pressure usually results from a broken oil pump drive shaft (if the pump is driven off the camshaft). Unless the engine is shut off immediately, it will be ruined. A sending unit mounted on the engine block monitors oil pressure. Oil pushes against a spring-loaded diaphragm, which in turn is connected to a resistor or set of contacts that trigger a warning light if pressure drops below about 4 or 5 psi.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed....htm?iam=howstuffworks_SKD&terms=oil+pressure

Just a quick look. God can tell you more how it relates directly to our cars, but it should give you the idea

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
DuckRide said:
On the same topic, what are the guages you typically use? I was thinking of gettin Boost, EGT and A/F
I have the same EGT, Oil Press, A/F, and Boost. I also plan to install intake temp and oil temp.

I'm of the understading one way to help EGT is lower intake temps. So I plan on making my TMIC more efficent with the splitter and spray kit, and the best way to know if that is doing any good is the intake temp gauge. The downside is that that gauge is sort of pricy $200. But during the summer here in TX I think it will be Important.

If you need any tips on install I'll be glad to help if you can't find it here. Drilling and taping the exhaust manifold for the EGT was easy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmmm.....so these 5 guages seem essential...I am also wondering about the aesthetics...Maybe two on the A-pillar and three on the analog clock mount would look good. I don't want the cockpit to look intimidating ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Layout

I plan on 3 on the a-pillar and two on the bezel.

I'm waiting on the Autometer Bezel

Unless some thing good comes out for the clock local. I currently don't like any of the current options.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How big is that on your guage cluster? how does it fit in? And where could I buy that mount? It looks good. But the guage has to be small...Don't want it to block anything else

·
Registered
34 Posts
DuckRide said:
How big is that on your guage cluster? how does it fit in? And where could I buy that mount? It looks good. But the guage has to be small...Don't want it to block anything else
I know paul used the brackets that came with the guage, I have seen it in person(quite a few times :) ) and it is just enought outta the way where you can see the boost and pretty much multi task with it as far as being able to read everything else all together, the a piller mod he did is made by autometer, also all his guages are autometer, fairly easy for the DIY'er.

·
Registered
6 Posts
more detail

DuckRide said:
The gauge is the AutoMeter Phantom 52mm - It's my boost gauge.

The Auutometers come with an aluminum C bracket. I cut that in half and made 2 "L" brackets. Then I cut two slots in the stock bezel (the flashing around your stock cluster). The gauge blocks the left turn signal and the CEL. It's not bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am presuming it is a 52 mm guage.....Actually the depth is bad in that pic....But I get a feeling that he has one 60 mm and the rest are 52 mm guages. Or are they all 52....I would love to have two guages on the cluter itself...looks very very neat....and is it sitting on the outside (of the cluster plastic) or do you have to work to get it inside?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts