Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, if you had the choice to go these 2 parts from the same company, which one would you choose? TurboXS didn't have a price on the downpipe alone. I would like to keep my stock mid-pipe (3rd cat) and everything else behind it for now. I desire quality, performance and price in that order...

Thanks! :confused:

·
Registered
242 Posts
MOP, I can only speak for the Turbo XS downpipe because I just installed it on Saturday. The piping is huge, it looks like something that came off of a turbo diesel truck, the flanges are perfect, precisely cut, I love the big, bellmouth design also. I would purchase it again if I had to. No complaints! :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fly,

Were you able to bolt to the rest of the stock system, no issues? How much $$$ for the part.

And of course, what was the power experience through the band like?:D

·
Registered
242 Posts
You would have to purchase the TXS dowpipe along with either their catpipe or racepipe, It won't bolt to the factory catpipe because the TXS downpipe is longer than the factory one. I have the entire stealthback exhaust with Prodrive muffler. The most noticeable increase was lower in the rpm band, but it does pull harder all the way to redline. The car feels like it has a lot more ass behind it.

·
2,210 Posts
Flyboy is correct regarding the configuration of the TurboXS turboback and it's incompatibility with sections of the OE unit. However, I would heartily recommend the TurboXS unit. Build quality is great, and that huge bellmouth speaks for itself. I believe it has the largest mouth of any dp currently available. The tubing gradually tapers down from 4" after the mouth, to 2.5" at the axle-back junction. It's also a very lightweight unit.

-Pace

·
2,210 Posts
It's a high-flow with a 3" inlet and outlet (I think). I don't know who makes it but TurboXS did tell me that it is the same cat used in several other aftermarket systems. It resides in the mid-pipe section after the downpipe, and the O2 sensor is relocated to a post-cat position.

-Pace

·
Registered
242 Posts
I also forgot to mention that the quality of the welds on the Turbo XS system are beautiful, if only the shop that welded my O2 bung in place would have been that nice. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
pace said:
It's a high-flow with a 3" inlet and outlet (I think). I don't know who makes it but TurboXS did tell me that it is the same cat used in several other aftermarket systems. It resides in the mid-pipe section after the downpipe, and the O2 sensor is relocated to a post-cat position.

-Pace

It tapers down to the stock pipe size!

------------------------------------
Why does TurboXS Exhaust taper the exhaust?

1. PV=nRT What the........? Ideal Gas Law. In order to keep exhaust gas pressure low, you need more volume where the exhaust gas is hottest and as the exhaust gas cools it requires less volume.

2. We knew that some of you would want dual tips, coffee cans and that ours would be too quiet. The original or any muffler designed to replace the factory WRX's will work with our system.

3. Because we could!

4. It made the most power!

·
2,210 Posts
It tapers down to OE sizing after the cat.

It starts out as ovalized 4" tubing at the bellmouth.
Tapers down to 3" for the cat section.
Cat pipe is 3" all the way through I believe.
Rear pipe tapers from 3" down to 2.5" where it will bolt to OE muffler.

-Pace

·
Registered
63 Posts
i heard that the 2.5" tapering is only good to a certain power level. does anyone know at what hp the 2.5" becomes a restriction? i plan to have 350hp down the road, and this is the only reason why i haven't bought a txs turbo back yet. TIA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts