ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently performed a upper engine clean with the crc intake valve and turbo cleaner, I also cleaned the MAF sensor on my
2019 wrx. The procedure went as planned as I had seen on multiple u tube videos. The next day when I went to drive it, I found
That after the car was warmed up, it would not idle properly! It kept wanting to stall and the rpm would fall below idle and it would
Try to stall. The rpm would drop then come back to idle then drop again. The car runs fine otherwise. I did some research on line, and
It sounded like I had a vacuum leak, No problem, I figure there was a good reason for this since I had opened up the circuit in two places. I figured I would just remove and replace the two sensors again making sure to tighten them well. Well I did that with no
Improvement. I talked to my mechanic, and he said their is no reason to clean the maf sensor and I shouldn’t have done it. I now have an appt to drop my car off at the dealer for repairs. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?? Thank you

·
Æternum
19,597 Posts
It does sound like a vac leak. If you have a way to log the ECM parameters, take a look at your AF Learning at idle. If the vac leak is so bad that the car is stalling, your learning will be maxxed.

That said, did you clean the MAF sensor with Intake valve cleaner? I'm concerned that is not correct at all. The MAF sensor is electrical and you should be using electrical cleaner and it should be air dried before reinstalled and started.

Occasionally MAF sensors require cleaning. With a standard air filter this is almost never required. With oiled aftermarket filters (K&N for example) the oil frequently coats the MAF necessitating cleaning. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does sound like a vac leak. If you have a way to log the ECM parameters, take a look at your AF Learning at idle. If the vac leak is so bad that the car is stalling, your learning will be maxxed.

That said, did you clean the MAF sensor with Intake valve cleaner? I'm concerned that is not correct at all. The MAF sensor is electrical and you should be using electrical cleaner and it should be air dried before reinstalled and started.

[/URL]

Occasionally MAF sensors require cleaning. With a standard air filter this is almost never required. With oiled aftermarket filters (K&N for example) the oil frequently coats the MAF necessitating cleaning. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As it turned out, it was a dirty throttle body that was causing the issue, I can only
Guess that the cleaning had blown something loose, the car only has 17,000 miles on it, and should not have that issue this early. And I did use the maf cleaner and allowed it to dry before reinstalling it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts