• I'm leaking.

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let's make it for real here. Who's got a leak, who had a leak etc.

details on what worked (we've heard the proper order of the bolts) like muffler cement, double up on the gaskets etc. anything that might help people coming into the uppipe world now.

also, how long you've had it in would be very helpful

dR

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've had mine on for about 2000 miles now, no leaks yet.

I tightened the two lower bolts first and used muffler cement on that joint only. The tops bolts I tightened in the same fashion as you tighten the lug nuts on your wheels. First I snugged them up then I tightened them down all the way alternating from one side of the flange to the other. I did not use a torque wrench either.

I used new gaskets.

·
2,472 Posts
i think you've all heard my uppipe stories since i've mentioned it so many times before, but here it is again:

first time i installed my uppipe (march i believe) i had an uppipe leak - that high pitched shriek that you get when the car is cold at startup. it went away after the car was warmed up, so i let it be. after going out to the autox, and running the wrx pretty hard, the uppipe/manifold connection came loose and the bolts came off! suprise, suprise, the car now sounded like a monster V8 or a harley:D :( though, because the sound came from the engine bay (b/c of the leak) and the car wasn't making any boost at all, and it wasnt exactly the prettiest sound, just extremely LOUD.

then i redid the install, tightend the bolts in the proper order, and problem solved! (for a while)

the leak started comming back, and i figured it was time to change out the gasket.

the easiest thing you could do to help ensure a leak-free uppipe is to get a new gasket for the uppipe/exhaust manifold flange. even though you can resuse the factory gasket, the gasket is technically a crush gasket, so 1 time use only. the new gasket worked out great, and now there are no leaks at all, even at cold startup. :D

i've had the new gasket in for almost 2 weeks now, and no leak has developed yet. (knock on wood)hehe

-Robert

·
Registered
357 Posts
No leaks here. Flyboy basically installed my uppipe while I watched and drank beer. So, any people that need an uppipe installed, just ask Flyboy because he loves to do them. :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
cnoff said:
So, any people that need an uppipe installed, just ask Flyboy because he loves to do them. :D
LOL, you dog!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I'm leaking :(

Leak came on the day after the install.

I don't really think it's a problem since it goes away in like 1 min.

But after reading the above post I think I should loosen and retighten everything.

p.s. I did use new OEM gaskets

·
2,472 Posts
order matters - go to vishnu's website to get the order ( i cant remember it off the top of my head)

·
2,472 Posts
oh also i just remembered something really important:

don't OVER tighten the bolts on the uppipe/manifold connection..

factory specs are 26 ft-lbs - that might not seem like much, but thats what it is. if u overtighten, then all the heating and cooling could warp the flange connection. 26 is tight enough, even if it might not feel like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts