Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2016 wrx, new to subaru's and turbo world, I have the stage 1 cobb tune and all stock from there. I'm looking to upgrade with a lot of bolt on's basically. If I go to a bigger turbo is it possible to run the current tune since the car already has a turbo without getting a pro tune? I know to get full potential I need to get a custom pro tune done, but I'm just looking to slap the new turbo on and keep going till I'm ready for it? Is this possible or will it hurt anything?

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
I got a 2016 wrx, new to subaru's and turbo world, I have the stage 1 cobb tune and all stock from there. I'm looking to upgrade with a lot of bolt on's basically. If I go to a bigger turbo is it possible to run the current tune since the car already has a turbo without getting a pro tune? I know to get full potential I need to get a custom pro tune done, but I'm just looking to slap the new turbo on and keep going till I'm ready for it? Is this possible or will it hurt anything?
If the car starts, it will probably blow up within a few hours.

You do you though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
289 Posts
Subscribing for "cars now making a weird noise" post

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
Your ECU calibration is setup for the parts that are on the car.

There are a bunch of ECU tables that need to be adjusted when upgrading to a larger turbo safely. On a broad scope: boost control/target tables, AVCS (variable valve timing) tables, ignition advance tables, open-loop fueling tables, etc. When you start upgrading parts, if you're not able to DIY the calibration, you need to factor in ~$500 or so for a recalibration costs; that's why some people will stockpile parts and install all at once, so they avoid multiple calibration fees.

That said, if you're really struggling over a $500 calibration cost, can you really afford an engine and/or transmission replacement cost if something goes wrong? Neither will be covered under warranty if there was an issue and you've got aftermarket parts / calibration on the vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts