·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Do you track your car or just drive it on the street? If you don't track it your brakes are adequate. Look into upgraded brake lines, fluid, pads, rotors etc.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
KNS Brakes

Go to that site...get the phone number and talk to Ken. Ken, the owner, really knows brakes and posts on NASIOC on a regular. KNS also has really good prices.

But, I agree with Garrett a BBK or Brembos are overkill for a daily driver. I recommend:

- Centric Premium Rotors
- Stoptech Street Performance Brake Pads
- ATE Blue/Gold synthetic brake fluid (one bottle may be enough, but I usually get two so I can do a real good flush and fill)
- Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Goodrich are great, I have Technafit which are good as well)
- Master Cylinder Brace (MBC) - Turn in Concepts / TiC makes a good one.

There are 4 vendors that I trust there implicitly and their knowledge is some of the best in the industry....

Ken of KNS Brakes
Tony & Clint of TIC (Turn in Concepts) - www.turninconcepts.com
Myles of RCE (Race Competition Engineering) - http://racecompengineering.com/
Tom of Kartboy - www.kartboy.com

Good luck and definitely give Ken a call.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That really depends on how you use the car and what power level you're at.
With OE tires the OE pads are just barely adequate. With decent rubber on the car you can easily overdrive the stock pads. Add suspension mods and/or go to stage 2 and typical street pads aren't going to cut it either.
At stage 3 you realize that no mere brake pad will fix the woeful lack of heat capacity in those front rotors...

Planning on power mods? Suspension upgrades? Figure out your brake needs in advance and go in that direction from the start.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Personally, I had DBA rotors, Ferodo DS2500 Pads, Goodrich Lines, and ELF fluid on my stock WRX calipers... and the thing stopped better than my HPS pads on my Brembos now.

Unless you see extreme braking (such as road racing tracks) then you really shouldn't waste your time/money looking at upgraded calipers.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Personally, I had DBA rotors, Ferodo DS2500 Pads, Goodrich Lines, and ELF fluid on my stock WRX calipers... and the thing stopped better than my HPS pads on my Brembos now.

Unless you see extreme braking (such as road racing tracks) then you really shouldn't waste your time/money looking at upgraded calipers.
Try getting rid of the HPS pads, they are just not that good. IMHO Stoptechs, Ferodo 2500, Carbotech Bobcats, or Porterfield R4S are MUCH better.

·
Æternum
20,571 Posts

·
Æternum
20,571 Posts
LOL like either of us have any room to preach :rotfl:

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
Æternum
20,571 Posts
(plus... I'm going to do HPDE's this next year)
Best investment ever. My friends bought me a HP driving basic course when I was 18. The basic course was with Mazda Miatas... the advanced course was with Lotus Exige :mad:

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
That'd be fun! I'd rather learn with my personal car though :D

Will probably buy a schroth before then.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
zax said:
Best investment ever. My friends bought me a HP driving basic course when I was 18. The basic course was with Mazda Miatas... the advanced course was with Lotus Exige :mad:
I followed an Exige S / 911 Turbo home from work the other day. Unfortunately, it was raining heavily, so there was no fun to be had, even if nothing more than a quick rip from the toll gates :sadwave:

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
It appears as tho on my 2008 that Subaru went back to the 02-05 brake setup.. If this is the case then I would suggest doing what's called an H6 rear upgrade. Contact your local Subaru dealer purchase rear brake caliper brackets from an 03 legacy H6, purchase a good set of brake rotors for the same car. Buy stainless lines, good brake pads, high boiling point brake fluid, and a master cylinder brace. You'd have very good brakes up through several performance upgrades.

·
Æternum
20,571 Posts
It appears as tho on my 2008 that Subaru went back to the 02-05 brake setup...
Almost but not quite. In 2008-2011, the rear brake rotor diameter is 11.3" which suggests that the H6 rotor upgrade was already done courtesy Subaru!

From Cars101:
Front: 11.6" ventilated disc with dual piston calipers
Rear: 11.3" solid disc, single caliper pistons

·
Registered
270 Posts
It appears as tho on my 2008 that Subaru went back to the 02-05 brake setup.
As mentioned, we have bigger rear disks which improve bias and increase overall system capacity.
The front rotors however can be traced back to the GC8 but the WRX has gotten both heavier and more powerful in the intervening decade.

·
Æternum
20,571 Posts
Don't forget the WRX also received a new floating-caliper design... it makes the brakes deal with rotor imperfections more effectively and (to a small extent) reduces brake fade.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don't forget the WRX also received a new floating-caliper design... which makes it an even better doorstop.
Fixed. ;)

And, new calipers still don't address the lack of rotor mass.

Y'know, for the guys who just want better pedal feel and don't have heat issues, you can pick up used FHI 4-pots for small change and that opens up a world of pad changes, not to mention the improved bias.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts