ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am recently new to the turbo world of Subaru. I bought an 02 wrx and I'm looking to do a small performance upgrade while I build the 2.5 for it just so I can still play with it while I go through the build process. I am a moderate mechanic with experience in doing some mods. Most of my mods on past cars have been cosmectic not performance. So that being said I am upgrading the stock intake manifold and throttle body. I bought the 70mm throttle body and I noticed that the upgrade isn't just swap the old one with new. The idle air control solenoid doesn't seem to quite line up right. Is there a aftermarket one that I would need to buy to go with the 70mm throttle body? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I sincerely hope you're planning on getting a tune for that 2.5, assuming you're using the 2.0 heads. If not, you'll either need to disconnect the AVCS on the 2.5 heads, which I don't know anything about the reliability of that, or completely rewire your WRX with an STI's wiring harness and computer and such. There are many, many mods that seem like they would come before a bigger throttle body, and generally, they do come before that. Look into cobb accessports- easy tuning method, safe, ad their maps come in stages- stage 1 is stock, just a reflash of the ecu to a more efficient map that gives you a suprising amount more power. stage 2 generally consists of a downpipe and TBE, and gives quite alot more driveability and power. Stay away from blow off valves, and ram or cold air intakes. They will just give you headaches. And make you wish your pockets were deeper. Don't mess with a subies engine without tuning it. There's generally consequences. Best of luck to you. I have no idea on the answer to your question though...someone more knowledgeable than I will stumble on this sooner or later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No no you misunderstand me I bought the Wrx with the 2.0 because I found a good deal on one. I wanted an STI so I bought a 2.5 block to do a complete performance build on it then do the swap from 2.0 to 2.5. Also I'm not just slapping on a new throttle body and intake manifold on and going running around with my "built WRX" lol. I have other mods to the car currently have the turboxs utec with a few different maps loaded already catless turboback exhaust, HKS electronic boost controller, STI suspension upgrade, 1000cc injector dynamics fuel injectors with upgraded fuel pump, new intake manifold with TG deleted, injen cold air intake, front mounted intercooler, turbo timer and soon upgrading the turbo to Garrett ATP gt30r76. The car isn't drivable right now due to upgrading so I'm not even close to done playing with the 2.0. I just want to get the most out of the 2.0 until I have the 2.5 built to my liking. Once complete with my upgrade stage I will be taking the car to an allwheel dyno to have it tuned properly. But right now my stopping point is the idle air control valve question why does the stock one not quite fit the new throttle body. Everything else works perfectly.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Boomba racing is the only company that ive seen that makes adapters for larger throttle bodies. Where did you purchase it from? Its a mechanical throttle body right?

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Unless your pushing over 450 whp you don't need a 70mm TB. Not to mention you have to port the intake manifold opening to match the throttlebody size. I have seen a couple of aftermarket ones on Ebay that work with the stock sensors but you lose cruise control. Most people just port/polish/optimize the stock TB. Proflow Design Tech Works Engineering Subaru Throttle Body Boring

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless your pushing over 450 whp you don't need a 70mm TB. Not to mention you have to port the intake manifold opening to match the throttlebody size. I have seen a couple of aftermarket ones on Ebay that work with the stock sensors but you lose cruise control. Most people just port/polish/optimize the stock TB. Proflow Design Tech Works Engineering Subaru Throttle Body Boring
Donkey,
I plan on building this car and making the most whp out of the 2.0 as I can until the 2.5 is completed to my satisfaction. The cruise control I already removed so it doesn't matter I knew that I would lose it with the new throttle body. The intake new intake manifold has already been to the machine shop and propperly ported to fit the 70mm throttle body.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for the reply it is a mechanical throttle body. I looked around and still couldn't find an answer so I fixed my problem it just took some drilling rethreading and bigger screws

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
02WRX_HONDAKILLR said:
Donkey,
I plan on building this car and making the most whp out of the 2.0 as I can until the 2.5 is completed to my satisfaction. The cruise control I already removed so it doesn't matter I knew that I would lose it with the new throttle body. The intake new intake manifold has already been to the machine shop and propperly ported to fit the 70mm throttle body.
You're not listening. An aftermarket TB/IM is a complete waste at your power level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're not listening. An aftermarket TB/IM is a complete waste at your power level.
No I have heard and understood but if I plan on making power to put behind the upgraded throttle body and intake manifold then does it hurt to go ahead and upgrade the parts? Like I said in the begining of the post I'm new to the performance world I know enough to learn the bigger stuff. So if there is a bad side to upgrading then feel free to elaborate a little more on this I am always open to advise and opinions. Also note the whole reason for my early upgrade was due to having a TG selinoid go out and rather then pay the dealer 150 for something I was going to take out anyway I added some cash to it and went ahead with the future planned upgrade.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
At the power level you are at putting that manifold and TB on you will be hurting your performance.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
a huge turbo to keep the air blowing thru that over sized TB and intake..

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
02WRX_HONDAKILLA said:
Ok so what kind of upgrades would justify the bigger throttle body an aftermarket intake manifold? I was not aware that it would hurt the performance.
$15-20K in upgrades

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts