ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 WRX 5 Door
Daily Driver. No tracking plans, just the occasional spirited driving like everyone else on here.
No other current suspension mods. I know tires will help but I'm just going to flatten the OEM tires before upgrading my summer tires.

I've read through a lot of the information I could find on upgrading sways but I still want to make sure I'm correct in my assumptions. I have a good deal on a lightly used Whiteline adjustable 22mm rear sway that I'm going to pick up shortly. I'm going to get the KB endlinks from TiC as well.

My understanding is that this will reduce the current understeer and body roll of the car, correct?
Would the experts suggest I start with the sway at the middle setting or just go straight to the stiffest setting and pair back if needed?
Anything else I should purchase while I'm back there like the ALK? Does it really increase NVH by that much?

Is adding 24mm front sway (OEM at 21mm?) a matter of personal preference for handling or is this what might be considered the "recommended" path? I guess my real question is will 3mm make much of a difference? If I do the front, I probably wouldn't for a little while just because I have to sneak these things by the wife. :wiggles:

Not sure if anyone has done the rear sway and later on done the front that could comment on experiences with both setups or not.

Sorry for all the questions. Suspension is not my forte. I've only ever made it through engine mods before I sold my last couple Subarus. Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right path to me...plain and simple. That should tighten up everything very well and kill some of the understeer significantly.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I changed the rear sway bar for a 22 mm Whiteline.I tried different settings.The stiffest setting was more to my liking.Drove with it for a month.Body roll was reduced but still present.Understeer was reduced.

After a month I added the 24mm Whiteline & endlinks at the stiffest setting.The handling became a lot more neutral.Body roll was immensely reduced.

Cornering now is a blast.I would recommend doing both front & rear sway bars.

Also ,yes,get a custom alignment.Some negative camber can do wonders for handling.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Ying said:
My understanding is that this will reduce the current understeer and body roll of the car, correct?
Not exactly. A rear swaybar will induce more oversteer.

Ying said:
Would the experts suggest I start with the sway at the middle setting or just go straight to the stiffest setting and pair back if needed?
I would leave it on the middle setting until you upgrade the front bar.

Ying said:
Anything else I should purchase while I'm back there like the ALK? Does it really increase NVH by that much?
Since you mention the car being solely a DD, an ALK wouldn't be a bad modification. It's one of my favorite ones I've done on my car.

The previous MYs had a different setup, and Whiteline offered three versions (Comfort, Sport, and Race). I went with the Sport version, and it didn't hurt the DD-ability of the car very much. I will note, however, that I enjoy NVH.

Ying said:
Is adding 24mm front sway (OEM at 21mm?) a matter of personal preference for handling or is this what might be considered the "recommended" path? I guess my real question is will 3mm make much of a difference? If I do the front, I probably wouldn't for a little while just because I have to sneak these things by the wife. :wiggles:
Get the front bar.

24 F / 22 R is a very popular setup for people on stock springs. Everyone will have a different tastes, but the benefit of adjustable bars is you can fine-tune them pretty easily to change the characteristics without having to buy multiple parts.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone. If I get my expected bonus I'll have some left over to likely do the front sway and links (maybe ALK) sooner than later. For the moment, I'm going to at least get the rear bar and links on the car.

After that I may have Feal do some inserts with RCE blacks and then call it a day for suspension mods. Again, I appreciate the help. Have a Happy New Year!

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I guess I was a good employee this past year. Just ordered a 24 F and KB links so I've taken care of sways. Have a little money leftover to get the GTWorx/Bilstein combo with RCE Blacks. Waiting for a response to see if I should have the Bilsteins revalved for the Blacks. This is the most suspension work I've ever done to any of my Subarus. Really psyched!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts