ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am going to be upgrading the exhaust on my 2002 WRX. The OEM setup is still there and is leaking everywhere. Sounds like death.

I am planning to go with Borla Hush dual tip for the OEM look and the sound, a Cobb downpipe, I will put an STi uppipe in it as well, and get the Cobb intake. I plan to have these installed and then take the car to Kansas City (from Nebraska) to the closest AWD Dyno and have it tuned for the parts. I may have them install in KC as well, not sure yet. Any way, I have been reading on here as much as I can but want to know if I am forgetting anything (replace midpipe..that common?). Any help would be appreciated.

I would put a bullet in the car but in the past year it has had:
  • 105k Service
  • Brand new pistons, all reading at perfect PSI
  • New Radiator
  • New brake calipers
  • New brake rotors
  • New brake pads
  • New clutch
  • New front end of car (kid ran a stop sign and hit me)
  • New windshield
Basically, the car is in damn good shape now for 110k WRX.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Is there a reason youre using an sti uppipe? The main reason to even change it has to deal with getting rid of the catalytic converter on the uppipe.

You also want to make sure you get the appropriate gaskets as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a reason youre using an sti uppipe? The main reason to even change it has to deal with getting rid of the catalytic converter on the uppipe.

You also want to make sure you get the appropriate gaskets as well.
Just would be the 2nd cheapest option (or get another aftermarket one) other than just gutting the standard one.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Replace all gaskets with quality ones (grimmspeed is good). Also, consider new exhaust hangers while you are in there. Some aftermarket setups will require extended hangers, others stock length so do some research and get the right length Kartboy ones.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Replace all gaskets with quality ones (grimmspeed is good). Also, consider new exhaust hangers while you are in there. Some aftermarket setups will require extended hangers, others stock length so do some research and get the right length Kartboy ones.

Good advise.. definitely all new gaskets (GrimmSpeed or OEM), and I would definitely do new hangers while you're at it. I've replaced mine twice already.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
+1

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
MainFrame said:
Good advise.. definitely all new gaskets (GrimmSpeed or OEM), and I would definitely do new hangers while you're at it. I've replaced mine twice already.
I'd go OE on the gaskets over Grimmspeed.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I'd go OE on the gaskets over Grimmspeed.
they won't be the right size for 3" exhaust will they?

The up pipe and turbo to downpipe will be but not downpipe to midpipe or midpipe to axle back

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I would do OEM gaskets on anything infront of the turbo. I'm having problems with my grimmspeed gaskets. The ones behind the turbo are working fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about the midpipe? Assuming my exhaust is leaking all over..is that a common one needed to be replaced or anything to worry about going with a good brand if it needs to be?

Also I've read something about a adapter for the catback to downpipe...will I need this?

I'll order new gaskets and mounting brackets...I just sort of assumed the mounting would come with the parts but of not...good call. Mine have to be in shambles. My exhaust is so rusted that if you take one pipe off...the other will crumble.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
What exhaust are you buying? A full TBE will include downpipe, midpipe, and catback..

Ahh, I read Cobb downpipe. You should go ahead and get the catback with it, then the Borla axleback, like you stated. The Cobb downpipe is the long version, so I believe it just goes downpipe->catback->muffler. I'm used to shorty downpipes where the midpipe comes between the dp and catback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the borla comes with the catback...am I missing something here or something going over my head?

I should just get a Cobb catback and just get the axle back only from borla?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I think you're all set then.. but I'm used to dealing with TurboXS exhaust systems, which have the midpipe between the downpipe and catback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perfect. I was going to dyno it but not concerned about having it perfectly tuned so just going to use the Cobb accessport maps that are already on the device.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanted to bump this and say thanks gentlemen.

Everyone talks about the huge difference between a non-tuned stock WRX and a tuned, stage 2 WRX as being impressive. Wait til you go from a non-tuned stock WRX with a incredibly leaky exhaust system to a stage 2. Ridiculous.

Edit: Oh forgot to mention this is still without the uppipe being replaced yet. My guy couldn't handle that so I'll have to go to a performance shop or the dealer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts