ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of figuring out a way to make a safe 8k redline for my ej205 without comprimising the low end torque that is so much fun about my car. Several ideas have been Jun stage 2 head kits or JDM STi heads, but I'd like to make it slightly cheaper since I don't have the need for the super high top end (and resulting crappy idle and tuning difficulties).

Here is the idea that I came up with....someone set me straight if this sounds nuts, or pat me on the back if this sounds smart.

www.mauromotorsports.com sells STi sodium filled valves and STi RA valvesprings. In conjunction with my stock camshafts and the stock aluminum head housings, I figured I could safely replace my stock parts with these parts to make an 8k redline with the same reliability as the stock JDM engine. Am I totally wrong? Is there some other piece missing that I don't get?

Thanks for any input or advice, I greatly appreciate it since this will be a key part in making an effective "big turbo" setup in 5-6 months.

~Tim

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
The main issue with revving that high on a regular basis isn't the valves or the springs. You run into issues with shims splitting. If you can track down a shimless set (bucket over/under/I forget) You could probably run 8k on the stock valvetrain without issue.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SERacing said:
Well what do you consider super high in price? V7/V8 heads go for around 1400-1800 used, and how much is it for head porting? 1200ish? Just something to think about...

Yeah I know, I'm probably going to end up with v7 heads and just use the stock JDM STi setup with their 8k redline....I was trying to be creative and think of something new that would not be some crazy @$$ Balls to the wall "only makes power above 5k rpm" setup.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Ok then...Why don't you slap the stock cams onto the V7/8 valvetrain?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts