Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a WRX soon and I was wondering what you guys thought of the upgraded muffler? The upgrade availble is the STI muffler. How many HP's does it deliver? I know I can get a cheaper and probably better muffler buy putting it on myself. I really don't have the tools or the knowledge to do that. I would rather have the car setup when I get it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I haven't seen the optional exhaust up close but i'm assuming its axle back. if it is this is how you would do it. i personally wouldn't get the optional muffler...but thats just me. if you do get it go back later on and purchase it that way you keep your stock muffler. You could later on try to sell the stock rex muffler and put on the new one OR incase you ever sell your car you can put the wrx muffler back on and sell the other for some cash. The muffler isn't hard to put on at all i'm sure. You could just re-use the existing gasket and two bolts and hangers if i'm not mistakened. Just undo the two bolts, take them off from the hangers (leave hangers connected to car) and then bolt up the new exhaust. Oh another think have some anti seize for the two screws to apply onto them. You can find it at an auto parts store for like 4 bucks.

did i miss anything?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Can't say I know much about the option muffler except it seems awfully expensive.

Ask yourself why you want it? Do you know how stock sounds? Do you know how that muffler sounds? Do you know what the other aftermarket mufflers sound like?

If you just want the Sti look, then I guess nothing else will satisfy. Check to see how much it is at Subaruparts.com (that's the online store for genuine Suby stuff/ almost always cheaper than at the dealership).

Definitely, either try and install yourself or have another garage do it. That way you're gauranteed to have two mufflers at the end of the day (unless you can cut a great deal w/ the dealership).

Subaru charges like $80/hr while the going rate at most garages is $65 (Michigan numbers).

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
quicksilver has some good points....

i wouldn't get any aftermarket parts from the dealer...they are way too expensive...i am sure that you can get better quality and/or gains from another aftermarket muffler for quite a few bucks less...i can't say that i know of any one who has the aftermarket muffler from the dealer on thier rex...shop around first....

my .02 :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buying the muffler after is a great point, I didn't think of that. Might as well have two mufflers. Another reason I would like to get the muffler from the dealer is that my wife just wants me to but the car and then wait a looong time to get any mods. She doesn't understand why you would want to mod a new car. Some people just don't understand.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
LemonHerb said:
Well I got it, but they didnt have any left so they gave me a prodrive instead for less.
well there are quite a few people here who have the prodrive and love it....sounds like you made out good on the deal...

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
LemonHerb said:
Yah I am thinking I did as well. I really like the prodrive. The look and sound is great. As far as profomance I dunno, I never drove it without one.
then that is all that matters...:D ;) :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
i agree with God on this one... or better yet, get a good downpipe and uppipe with rest of the stock exhaust.... that would give you more HP then that STi axel back.

·
Registered
555 Posts
droogie said:
Another reason I would like to get the muffler from the dealer is that my wife just wants me to but the car and then wait a looong time to get any mods. She doesn't understand why you would want to mod a new car. Some people just don't understand.
Welcome to the world of "sneaking around behind wife's back to fuel the disease that is modding" :D

...it's contagious...goes from carrier to carrier in a vector known as a WRX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts