Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when we might see a reprogramed upgrade chip for the stock ECU on the open market?

Thanks,

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info TurboWRX, but I think you misunderstood me. I'am not talking about a piggyback ECU. I'am talking about a chip that will replace the existing programed chip in the ECU. They have these chips for domestic cars like dodge and ford. It's as easy to install as opening the ECU, pull out the existing chip, put new chip in, and then close up ECU. I'am just curious why I haven't seen this for the new imports yet?

Thanks again,
Andrew

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Prodrive ECU replaces the stock ECU. There is a link somewhere on this site.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey cnoff hows the car running? I've seen the Prodive ECU, but it replaces the whole ECU and is close to $1000!:eek: The chips I'am talking about just replaces the brain of the ECU, as mention in my earlier post, and cost half the price.

I know that Dan was talking about reprograming the stock chips but he was only doing it for special cases. Does anyone know of any other aftermarket companies have come out with what I'am talking about???:confused:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Neptune, the car's running great. No more crazy problems other than locking my damn keys in the car while still running. :mad: I'm going to pickup a TXS turboback next week. To be followed by TXS piggyback. :D

I think Dan is going to be selling the reprogramed stock units to the public pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
from what i understand on posts here and on i-club, some tuners have recently found out how to reprogram stock ecu units. it is very early on in this process, and they only seem to be doing this for highly modified cars at relatively expensive prices right now. nobody seems too willing to give up too much information about it though. i'm sure in the near future it will become more widespread and the price will come down, making it a very good option.
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
310 Posts
It is Yoshi from Toronto Canada. He has been doing Honda ECU for a while, pretty well known to Honda guys. He have recently started to work on our ECU. But I think you have to go to him (Canada) and have the ECU reprogram for under 600 bucks.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Dale Teague recently mentioned he may begin remapping stock ECUs. I haven't checked back to see if he had acquired the necessary hardware or software.

Prodive will reap my ECU upon request. My mods will not require it unless somebody gives me a boatload of money.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So will that be a TXS stage 1??
Actually, it will be closer to a Stage 2.5 since I have everything for Stage 2 + uppipe from stage 3. Just missing upgraded Top-mount intercooler for full Stage 3.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey russ, Does he run teagues auto in NC. If so, what do you think of them. They are less than an hour from me and I was going to have them install my uppipe and turboback in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
1,911 Posts
Yoshio also uses techtom equipment although for the new WRX you can not use board. You have to desolder stock chip, reflash it then resolder it into the ECU. It's a delicate process but Yoshio has no problems doing it. Cost is about $600. We are working on a variety of maps now.

·
Registered
400 Posts
kaizenfighter said:
Hey russ, Does he run teagues auto in NC. If so, what do you think of them.
I just installed parts I got from Teagues and Dale was very helpful and worked with me to insure I had everything I needed. Don't tell anyone but he also did price matching for me on the one item I found cheaper somewhere else.

From our conversations I would feel very comfortable having his shop do the work, but living in Washington state I did it my self.

He did spend a lot of time on the phone answering all of my questions....:D

The car is a little faster now too.....:cool:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Teagues has never done any work for me. Dale has been very gereroos with advice and his customer service is exceptional. I'd let him work on my car any day.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Dale has never done any work for me. He's been quite generous with his advice and his reputation is stellar. Give him a call.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts