Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my upgrade this weekend. It took me and a friend 7 1/2 hours to complete. We put in a M2 up-pipe, VF23 turbo, Brullen TT turbo back (quiet muffler), STi injectors, fuel pump, Samco hoses and a TurboXS unichip.

The first thing I will tell you is the muffler sounds great. I couldn't be happier with it. It has a deep throaty tone that everyone loves but is not real loud. I would highly recomend Brullen for both tone and quality. I will also say that Dale at Teauges was very helpful with both advice and timely delivery of all my parts.

The install went very smooth considering neither of us have ever done anything like this before. I was a little worried about romoving the bolts because of what I've read. I have been running high boost and have over 30K on the car and thought they would be hard to break loose. Much to my suprise they all but fell off...:eek: on their own.

The car seems to be running very well. There is a bit more lag now (4K) but it is very strong from 4 to red line. It is an auto and the boost stays high between shifts for the most part. I have it set at 18psi peak and it seems to be working ok. When we got done it was about 100 degrees in the shade and I did not "feel the love" on the first test run, but when it cooled down that evening it was very noticable...:D

I have a cel that has come and gone about 3 times since the install and I'm not sure yet what it is. I think one of the local parts stores will check it for me. All the gauges read good though so....:confused:

My friends that were not afraid of riding with me before are now rethinking their position....

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Congratulations! That must be one awesome ride! Sigh, when will I hit the lottery? :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Road Runner - glad to hear you love the exhaust. How'd you find dealing w/ the guys @ iON Performance? Biggest bang for your buck in terms of quality, acoustics and choices would definately have to be the iON/Brullen systems :)
Anyways, you may want to check all your flange connections on the up-pipe (manifold->up-pipe bit), if there's a leak anywhere, that can be a likely cause for a CEL. I hope you reset your ECU after doing the install.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
WOW! You guys were busy getting all of that done. Congrats, and keep us posted as to the cause of the CELs.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Wow, in a slushbox no doubt! Have you tried brake-torque launches yet? How's the driveability with the boost not coming on until 4k?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTBGUY, Wouldn't I hear a leak in the up-pipe? It is so quiet except for that deep rumble in the back. The exhaust is great, the only thing I would recomend to anyone ordering one is if you are in a hurry use paypal. I sent a money order and it sat in customs for over a week...:rolleyes:

WRXed, thanks, I'm still suprised it works. I'll leave a post when I have the cel checked. It's going into Subaru for a intermitent power window problem on friday. They might check it and then give me a lecture on after market parts...:p

Verdugo, I can get it to about 2100 rpm's and it might help a little but it's not a real launch...:( That's Ok I wanted an auto and every time I drive my gf's car I am glad I got it. Driveability is fine, it only takes about 2 lanes of traffic to hit boost and I find myself not keeping my foot to the floor when I start now because it goes so fast. An example of the improved torgue is that with the stock car if I was sitting at a light turning left I could floor it and the boost would grab about half way through the turn. The car would pull but stay in control. Now with the upgrades and 18X7.5 performance tires when it hits boost the tires break loose and the car starts to drift...:D

It's about 100 again today and the stock intercooler is a dog in this weather. Looks like a FMIC is due before next Summer. Needs brakes and a torgue converter first though.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Road Runner said:

An example of the improved torgue is that with the stock car if I was sitting at a light turning left I could floor it and the boost would grab about half way through the turn. The car would pull but stay in control. Now with the upgrades and 18X7.5 performance tires when it hits boost the tires break loose and the car starts to drift...:D
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean! So where in the turn does it start pulling now? At the beginning? Near the end?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Road Runner - in a week or two, look underneath where your up-pipe is, you'll most likely have to tighten the bolts again, or add another gasket @ the flange between the up-pipe and manifold.

Some leaks are smaller, and w/ all the engine sounds and your wastegate noise, it'll be harder to hear.

Yup, Canada post is slow. especially from the US using normal "priority". If you used overnight it would've gotten through faster.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nice job!
I still need to do injectors to finish my stage 4. How difficult were the injectors?

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Oh yeah and btw, if you decide on a Blitz FMIC, it'll take A LOT of work on an automatic...it's possible, but you have to do some extra pipe work: http://www.garagespl.com

·
Registered
907 Posts
All8up said:
Nice job!
I still need to do injectors to finish my stage 4. How difficult were the injectors?
Injectors? Their a cinch to install, just kinda hard to get to..

·
Registered
160 Posts
How is your map for your auto?? everythign running well??

Rob

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All8up, the injectors are very simple to do. The hard part is removing the drivers side rail cover. There are a lot of lines and wiring harnesses to get it by. If you take off the intercooler and slide it back and to the center of the car it seems to work. Maybe you can just loosen it and the rail and lift the rail off of the injectors and not remove it at all...

RobPA, the map seems to be fine. They had already tuned one with everything the same except for a diffrent exhaust, but they should be very simler I would think. It runs like it did before just much stronger. MPG seems about the same but I have not tested it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts