ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took apart the up-pipe yesterday to reinstall via Pace's method of leaving the 2 bracket bolts off. Good news is the up-pipe leak is history. Bad news is I can't seem to make over 12 psi now :) My luck has run out somewhere!!!

I guess I must have another leak somewhere, but man that is just weird that'll make 12 and give up.

·
2,472 Posts
ah ha! i had that problem too - heres what ya should check first, cause after i fixed this my problem went away

double check all the hoses running from your boost controller to the turbo/wastegate - one of mine had a crack in it; after i replaced it w/ a new one, my car was back to normal :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in heaven, heaven I tell you!

I should have thought to check the boost controller. That red harness between the solenoid and the control unit is a complete piece of junk. The blue wire came loose. So I just went ahead and spliced wires together and shrink-wrapped them. MUCH BETTER!

I'll let you gusy know in a bout a week if it's still holding up well! But for now, add me to the list of leakless :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am starting to get a leak when the car is not completly warmed up. I usually don't drive in boost untill the car is completly warmed up. It usually happens on first and second gear at around 7psi of boost. I have a PDE up-pipe. I only see one bracket connected to the up-pipe to engine block as shown in the pic I attatched. Where is the other one? Any ideas where the leak may be? I am going to retorque it without the brackets.

Jay

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
illmatic said:
I am starting to get a leak when the car is not completly warmed up. I usually don't drive in boost untill the car is completly warmed up. It usually happens on first and second gear at around 7psi of boost. I have a PDE up-pipe. I only see one bracket connected to the up-pipe to engine block as shown in the pic I attatched. Where is the other one? Any ideas where the leak may be? I am going to retorque it without the brackets.

Jay
There is a bracket underneath the downpipe as well. You have to take that off. It sounds like you have the typical situation developing though: it goes away when the car is warmed up because of expansion due to the heat. It almost certainly is the up-pipe to manifold connection that everyone is having problems with. Take the cover off the RH manifold, and feel around the joint when the car is completely cold. If you can't feel it, have someone rev up the engine while you're feeling. You'll know almost immediately!

BTW- I did not use Subaru's gasket this time. I actually used a gasket that is made by Bosal, for Mercedes/Mitsubishi exhausts. I have no clue what it is made of though it looks to be very quality, and it's holding up just fine so far. Noteably, the ring in the middle that is to be crushed was much better designed on the Bosal gasket as compared to the Subaru gasket. More on this soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts