ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all of you guys

I just installed my borla atak on my 2011 wrx. I wasnt sure what im getting but oh maaaaan!!!!!!The exhaust is F***** awesome!!!!!Its just poetry to my ears.I thought its gona be mid loud but i was soooo wrong. Exhaust is sick.I cant wait to go to work tomorrow just to start my baby.The only problem is when i start the car all alarms go crazy.Borla is true genius. Cant be more happy. I got dyno set up on feb 20.lets c what happens.And one more thing. Videos really dont show nothing. what a diffrence. i have a video but it doesnt sound nothing like in person. whoooooooo SUBIEEEEE!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Hi to all of you guys

I just installed my borla atak on my 2011 wrx. I wasnt sure what im getting but oh maaaaan!!!!!!The exhaust is F***** awesome!!!!!Its just poetry to my ears.I thought its gona be mid loud but i was soooo wrong. Exhaust is sick.I cant wait to go to work tomorrow just to start my baby.The only problem is when i start the car all alarms go crazy.Borla is true genius. Cant be more happy. I got dyno set up on feb 20.lets c what happens.And one more thing. Videos really dont show nothing. what a diffrence. i have a video but it doesnt sound nothing like in person. whoooooooo SUBIEEEEE!!!!
so how is the exhaust as far as loudness? also have a link for it? i really wanna get a new exhaust for my car, want to add some sound to it.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
so how is the exhaust as far as loudness? also have a link for it? i really wanna get a new exhaust for my car, want to add some sound to it.
Quiet. Very, very quiet. At idle you probably wont even notice that you have after market. However, when you go WOT that's when you hear the beast inside. It's not a harsh tone but it's nice and aggressive.

Hi to all of you guys

Glad you like it. My GF has it on her LGT because it was quiet but aggressive.

is the atak a single output?
No.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A video will not do any good.
I absolutely love the sound. I dont know why everybody say its quiet. The one i have is loud as hell!!! With invidia dp i got it sounds like one mean machine.i do have a short clip from the phone but its not even close to how it realy sounds. maybe there are louder ones but i would not go louder then this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I absolutely love the sound. I dont know why everybody say its quiet. The one i have is loud as hell!!! With invidia dp i got it sounds like one mean machine.i do have a short clip from the phone but its not even close to how it realy sounds. maybe there are louder ones but i would not go louder then this.
Ok, so I'm getting ready to get this borla twin-tip that I've wanted for so long and now I'm seeing a bunch of people saying how it's not quiet at all. I remember a couple years ago people saying that it was only a bit louder than stock idling and cruising but great at WOT. Is this dependant on DP (stock or AM) or has there been a change to Borla's design? I'd really like to get the Borla but just how loud is this going to be with a 3" DP.

Even in this thread there are two different statements about how loud it is. Anyone have comparison numbers between new systems and old?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Isn't it that there are two versions, the Borla Hush vs. this Borla ATAK which is much louder?

·
Premium Member
6,299 Posts
Isn't it that there are two versions, the Borla Hush vs. this Borla ATAK which is much louder?
Not anymore, from what i can find the hush does not exist for the new body style. It's memory still confuses people apparently, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I understand that the newer WRX's don't have the same options, but when I go to Borla's site the three options for my 02 are two regular cat-backs, single and double tip muffler options, and then one identified as "aggressive". I've seen other sellers identifying what appears to be the twin tip as the hush still.

I'm moving to the tech forum on this topic. :confused:

OK, apparently it's already here....wierd.

OK then, can anyone tell me if Borla ever used the Hush name themselves? If so, has their design changed to make the exhaust louder?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I understand that the newer WRX's don't have the same options, but when I go to Borla's site the three options for my 02 are two regular cat-backs, single and double tip muffler options, and then one identified as "aggressive". I've seen other sellers identifying what appears to be the twin tip as the hush still.

I'm moving to the tech forum on this topic. :confused:

OK, apparently it's already here....wierd.

OK then, can anyone tell me if Borla ever used the Hush name themselves? If so, has their design changed to make the exhaust louder?
I really don't understand your confusion - the dude saying it is loud is talking about a new version that has two separate rear exits and a totally different layout/design for an '11. This is what happens when you don't start your own thread as no one could have possibly guessed you actually had a '02....

That being said, it looks to me like you can still get the Hush for your car. It is "quite" when putting around. If not, the Whisper is better IMO anyway. For that one I have personal experience - it does not drone in an '03 wagon, and is the perfect schizophrenic exhaust that is loud enough when you go WOT. MadDad carries both and will price match Borla and is a vendor here. If you call them, Rich (I think?) used to pick up the phone and he can definitely answer any of your further questions.

MadDad Whisper 3" Catback Dual Tip
Borla Hush Dual Tip 3" Catback

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the info, I only jumped in here because of the fact that there was an opening for the question. Drews says quiet, cartman_ny says loud. Perhaps I should've framed the question directly around that. I've seen several places where the *edit: Borla* exhausts are discussed with similar disparities and no one seems to specify which Borla system they have.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have it on my TT and you can't beat the aggressive tone at WOT. Nice choice man!

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Thanks for the info, I only jumped in here because of the fact that there was an opening for the question. Drews says quiet, cartman_ny says loud. Perhaps I should've framed the question directly around that. I've seen several places where the *edit: Borla* exhausts are discussed with similar disparities and no one seems to specify which Borla system they have.
I don't mind if a thread goes sideways (happens all the time) I just thought you seemed upset with our confusion. No big deal either way.

I think with the borla there is a weird situation if you want to go full 3". Not that a taper really matters, but tapering down then back up and having to buy an adapter or whatever.... The MadDad one is excellent fit and finish and you can do straight through 3". Depends on what DP you are using whether this is relevant. If you are sticking with the stock one, or getting a tapered one, just get the 2.5" catback that will use the donut gasket. It may be a little quieter than the Hush, and it drones less. It is deep but there is no resonator in the pipe so it may not be quite as deep. The reviews on the site are in keeping with my experience. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have borla on my tundra, and it has gotten louder and better sounding with more miles on it

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi to all of you guys

I just ordered my Borla ... but on back order until 2nd week June. Any pic's to share ... I haven't seen one in person and just curious how it's going to look on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
no pics?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
borla.jpg

Sorry it took me so long to answer i was out of town.I dont have the picture with Borla on the car but i will make it today and post it.For now i only have this one.I also have a short clip that maybe i will post but as everyone knows it wont show the true sound.But i can tell you that with my uncatted dp and pro tune is very loud.I get pulled over at least once a week.Its kind of pain it the ass but sounds good :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for the picture. I'm really interested to see what it looks like on the car. If you could post some pics at different angles I would be much obliged. I can't find any pics on the forums, plus I was at the wicked big meet this weekend and didn't see any cars with the Borla CBE (oen of the reasons I like it - it's different). I haven't received mine yet, it was suppose to be shipped on the 11th of this month, but then Borla said that it won't be shipped until the end of the month ... frustrating.

I'm surprised to hear that it's that loud. I would be interesting in seeing/hearing your video. I've heard that it's pretty quite (pretty much stock sounding) until you bring it up over 3000 RPMs. Maybe it's your catless DP ... i hear that can make any exhaust pretty loud. I'll be installing mine with a catted Cobb DP and accessport stage 2 tune. I was hoping for a pretty close to stock sound around town but for it to come alive when getting on it.

We'll see.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts