ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the market for a UP....currently i have turbo xs TBE....and im flashing to stage 2 next week...i want to put on the UP when i do the flash....but im torn between a few pipes....i like the Turbo XS on but idk about that flex joint....are these flex joints "ok"....will they leak???....my other options are all those other pipes out there (150-250$) with no felx.....which UP do you guys have....like i want some consumer feedback

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*All Crucial Racing Systems parts are intended for off-road use only. This uppipe removes a factory catalytic converter and therefore must never be used on a road-going car subject to emissions regulations.*

how in the world do i pass emmisions with this thing????it seems soo pointless to buy a 240$ part that doesnt allow me to pass emmissions....how does anyone pass emmissions with aftermarket UP????they are all catless

·
Registered
897 Posts
Is your TBE catless? If not your fine. If it is...well then you either need to know someone, or get a cat in there somewhere.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah its the stealthback....high flow cat...will i be alright with going from 3 stock cat to just one cat???? im kinda SOL if i dont pass emmissions....also back to my OP

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
*All Crucial Racing Systems parts are intended for off-road use only. This uppipe removes a factory catalytic converter and therefore must never be used on a road-going car subject to emissions regulations.*

how in the world do i pass emmisions with this thing????it seems soo pointless to buy a 240$ part that doesnt allow me to pass emmissions....how does anyone pass emmissions with aftermarket UP????they are all catless
The cat in the UP only helps on cold start ups. Unless you are less then five mins from the emissions station it's going to be a mute point. Also most places are doing a OBDII check. If you have something like Cobb's AP you wont have a CEL and you should be good. You'd fail a visual inspection but you cant see the UP anyway without alot of effort.

A high flow UP is problay the stupidest thing anyone could sell....next to a factory installed cat before a turbo that is.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A high flow UP is problay the stupidest thing anyone could sell
agreed...im just tring to get this thing on the road....Up suggestions please...ihave 220 to spend

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts

it is your downpipe that will lose you the inspection the DP is also for off road use only....

the uppipe will not only not be looked at by the inspector, nobody would inspect an uppipe for a cat.,

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the turbo xs stealthback is for off road use only?????

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Anything that removes, alters, deletes, changes, or does anything else to a the stock location of the stock cats is for off road use only.

Or either keep your stock DP or get an aftermarket DP that mimics the stock dp (which I'm not sure anyone makes) or you settle for being labled as "off road use" only and go about your life. If you are overly worried get a hi flow cat.

Any UP is fine....Invidia, Cobb, etc. I personally like Invidia but there isnt much design thought going into a UP...anyone should do fine...I'd stay away from the cheap Ebay ones personally as I wouldnt want to replace it since it's a PITA to do.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah sonic its catted

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
yeah sonic its catted
then you will have nothing to worry about from the inspection guys, nobody expects to find a cat in the UP so you should not be worried.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool cool... I think gonna go with the inveida UP... Now what all has to come out for me to install it.... Dp?

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
cool cool... I think gonna go with the inveida UP... Now what all has to come out for me to install it.... Dp?
There are several different ways to do the install.

The one I helped with the TMIC came off, the DP came off, the motor mounts got disconnected, jacked the motor up slightly, and fished the UP out from the top of the engine bay.

You could also take the exhaust manifolds off but we didnt have gaskets to replace the old ones with.

Make sure you plan plenty of time and hopefully have a buddy or two around....it's not easy the first time you do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts