ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently acquired all the parts necessary to do the install for these parts ^^^, and I'm wondering if the install could be done in a night. Anything I can do ahead of time? Should I do it all at once or in stages? It should be noted that I recently did the walboro pump and blue injectors and it took me about 6 hrs. I'm a novice mechanic at best.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah, up pipe will be the most difficult and time consuming. The downpipe and catback can be finished really quickly though. I've done at least a dozen downpipes/exhaust work, it's pretty simple on all cars.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Soak all bolts in PB Blaster. Wait, tap the bolts a few times, repeat. And again. Then find more nights.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Depends on the right tools and knowledge. I didn't have air tools, and spent 2 hours soaking the left-lower exhaust-to-dp bolt with PB Blaster and cranking on it with a ratchet wrench and extension socket before it finally broke loose. With air tools = 30 seconds.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Soak all bolts in PB Blaster. Wait, tap the bolts a few times, repeat. And again. Then find more nights.
+1

It's a coin flip. If it goes as planned (which my installs never do), then you should be okay/exhausted. It is possible though, especially if you have experience with the installs prior to it.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Why'd you do injectors and pump before Stage 2?

Plans for engine management?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured as much with the bolts. I've got a 14mm 6point deep socket and an 18" breaker bar that I hope will do the job. I hope.

·
Æternum
20,585 Posts
Easily done in 1 night.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why'd you do injectors and pump before Stage 2?

Plans for engine management?

Those two mods are required for the vf39. I've had opensource EM for a while now and for what it's worth I'm pretty sure it's a necessity even for the injectors only.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Yeah it is...that's good! As the others say, you should be able to knock all that out in a half a day. Get a beer, take your time. Get a buddy for an extra set of hands.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The uppipe shouldn't be hard at all with the turbo off. I would definitely do it all at once.
Yup, I figured if I'm pulling the turbo I might as well pull the uppipe with it and save myself the trouble of jacking up my engine.

·
Æternum
20,585 Posts
Yup, I figured if I'm pulling the turbo I might as well pull the uppipe with it and save myself the trouble of jacking up my engine.
Make sure you have the 2.2Kohm resistor handy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I got a 5 pack in my glove box. I might actually go ahead and plug that in ahead of time, in the interest of minimizing stuff I gotta do that night.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts