ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am ordering my headers (as soon as they become available) but they use the stock up pipe. So my question is, is it really worth getting an aftermarket high flow up pipe? is the difference really that noticeable? I have heard that all they really do is allow the turbo to spool up 200 rpm's quicker. so let me know if you think its worth it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you have an older wrx like 05 and below , then yes it's worth it . The cats in the up pipe have been known to break apart and destroy the turbo. So save yourself the head ache of a possible turbo getting destroyed and get the up pipe. Can't do any harm . If you have an 06 wrx+ then u won't need the up pipe but from what I read on your thread I'm gonna guess u don't .

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a 2011 wrx. so was there a design change or something in the 06 and newer up pipes?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Which headers are you going with?

The gains aren't there on the 2.5L (like on the 2.0L), but they are there. If you're going to be getting a custom tune (which, you should with the headers), then do the uppipe as well while you're there. You should see some better spool, and a bit more power. If you're unsure of a brand, Grimmspeed makes a nice one that isn't too expensive:
GrimmSpeed Uppipe Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2012 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com

foxhound said:
i have a 2011 wrx. so was there a design change or something in the 06 and newer up pipes?
The 2.5L Impreza comes with a catless pipe from the factory.

·
Registered
265 Posts
+1 For the Grimmspeed. Actually just installed it today. Fits like a charm, i got it ceramic thermal coated as well. Buy their gaskets as well, i liked the quality of them over the ones that came with my DP i put in today.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Terminal Kuz said:
+1 For the Grimmspeed. Actually just installed it today. Fits like a charm, i got it ceramic thermal coated as well. Buy their gaskets as well, i liked the quality of them over the ones that came with my DP i put in today.
OE gaskets here. A bit cheaper, and are perfectly sufficient.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts