ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here think it'd be considerably easier to install an up pipe by removing the turbo instead?

It sounds easier when compared to the very arduous method mentioned on scoobymods.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I did it that way, only because I had the turbo out anyway. I still had to remove the exhaust manifold to get enough working room to get that sucker out the top, though.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do you undo all those hoses on the turbo? will i get coolant and oil gushing out on me?

how about that pesky bolt that aims toward the ground howd you all get it screwed back down in that tight a spot?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Yes, coolant will come out. Helps to just have some large bolts that you can stick in there and plug them. Though you could also drain the coolant and put new coolant in afterwards.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
blackshadow said:
Yes, coolant will come out. Helps to just have some large bolts that you can stick in there and plug them. Though you could also drain the coolant and put new coolant in afterwards.
1/2" bolts worked great for me, to stop the coolant. I did spill a little, of course...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I took the turbo off as well to do mine back in days of yore... Just be sure to burb and top off the coolant while the car is running REALLY GOOD or you will hit an air pocket on your test drive and overheat. I've done that a couple of times now...it's just a PITA to get all the air out of the coolant system without it burbing it all over the place.

-jason

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
easy fix to what you said, take the rad. cap off the rad. and hold it at 2000 rpm for 2 minutes idling...air gone

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
To plug the coolant line use either a AA battery or the extension for a 3/8in socket. They both fit perfectly.

Taking the turbo out works, but, I do think you have to remove the elbow anyway. That's not hard. I found the easiest way is just to use a jack on the oil pan. You don't need to lift the engine up even an inch. Then get it a little down, rotate it, and let it sorta slide out down where the downpipe would be. It takes some wiggling, but it'll work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
it's really not that hard to take the exhaust manifold off, unbolt one engine mount, and jack the engine up 2". when I did my UP install, it took me 5 hours start to finish with a friend helping me. If you don't already have a pair of mechanics gloves, definitely get them, they are well worth it.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how do you get that one pesky bolt that secures the turbo to the engine back in?

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bump for my question

1 - 13 of 13 Posts