ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm about to do a VF39 swap with full TBE and of course a catless up. I think I've read every how-to on the subject but I'm wondering if removal of the o2 sensor/manifold heat shield is really necessary if I'm already pulling the turbo. Can I just unbolt the up-pipe from the top and pull it out with no interference from the heat shield? Anyone done this or could point me to an install guide using this method?

·
Registered
364 Posts
You may be able to wiggle it out with the sensor on but it will be much easier to just remove it. Advance autoparts will rent you the tool for free. You pay a deposit, I don't remember how much, and they refund it too you when you return it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the o2 sensor is plugged in to the manifold not the up-pipe right? So it shouldn't interfere. I think. I'm more wondering if the manifold heat shield is necessary to remove in order to access the manifold to up-pipe bolts.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The O2 sensor is in the up pipe. The heat shields will need to be removed absolutely but its only a few small screws that hold it on so it's really not too big of a deal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there's an EGT and an o2 plug in the up?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So looks like it's just the EGT in the up. Anyone done an up-pipe swap with manifold heat shield intact?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
The O2 sensor is in the up pipe.
Actually, that's not correct. The O2 sensor is in fact screwed into the manifold, as VFXWRX said. Here's a picture borrowed from ScoobyMods to prove it.

perrin17.jpg

That being said, yes, you will need to remove the shielding around the uppipe due to the diameter of the catted pipe, in which case you will need to remove the 02 sensor. Also, you can't really access the uppipe bolts without removing the manifold shielding. As an aside to the OP, how many miles are on the car? If the 02 sensor has never been replaced, it might not be a bad idea to just swap it out while you're messing around in there anyway. They only cost around $70 on Amazon.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, this is what I needed to know. There's 170k miles on the car :). However the previous owner replaced the o2 within the last 4 yrs. so I think it should still be ok. And just to be clear, I need to remove the heat shielding around the up as well as the manifold heat shield? I was under the impression that since I'm pulling the turbo, the up should be able to come out through the top in one piece.

·
Registered
495 Posts
When I switched my uppipe, my father and I pulled it out through the top and did not remove the turbo (but we did remove the downpipe). I did have to remove all of the heat shields around the manifold (and had to cut a slot in one so that I could remove it without removing the O2 sensor).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts