Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set saturday aside to do my up pipe, downpipe and EGT gauge install at the auto hobby shop on base. It closed at 3:30pm, and I showed up around 9am.

Things were looking pretty good -- I had everything taken apart, including the manifold taken off by 11. I figured 20 minutes to drill and tap the manifold and I'd be good to go. Turns out I couldn't drill it myself and went to an exhaust shop to see if they could. Of course, they closed at noon (and by this point it was 11:50) and they didn't want to do it for me. A couple well known mechanics in town were there and offered to do it for me (while giving me crap about my Subie, since they're Nissan guys), but I had to wait an hour. And, lucky me -- when I got there, they drilled it but didn't have the right size tap. So I took it back and tapped it myself, which didn't exactly go smooth, but by 2:00, I had my EGT bung done.

So I had an hour and a half left. Rather than decide to finish it up tuesday after work (theyre closed on sunday and monday), I decided to hurry up and finish it, and put the intercooler back on in the parking lot if I had to. Not a good idea.

I made a few little mistakes here and there -- mostly just things that wasted some time, like when I put the downpipe on before torquing the up pipe. When I put the up pipe in and bolted it to the turbo, I couldn't get it to mate up with the manifold. So we loosened the manifold from the block and put them together. I did end up having to put the intercooler back on in the parking lot, and things were looking good until I started it up.

I then heard the most horrible sound I ever have -- a leak. Since I couldn't get underneath and couldn't find it, I drove it to and from work and no where else for a couple days until I could get back at it today. I thought maybe, since I'd done such an ugly job with the EGT bung, that it was leaking. What I found was the manifold HANGING there. It was bolted to the up pipe just fine -- but I'd forgotten to torque it back down to the block! 2 of the nuts had worked themselves all the way off and were gone, and the other was backed up 1/4" or so.

Luckily, my cylinders all survived, and even the gasket was fine. Phew!

·
Banned
601 Posts
you're gonna get another leak. When you get a chance, you might wanna do this.

take the downpipe and intercooler off
loosen all the bolts including the ones connecting the top of the uppipe to the engine.
torque the bolts from the bottom to the top, manifold to crossover pipe, manifold to block, manifold to uppipe, uppipe to engine, turbo to uppipe

if you tighten the bolts at the top first, you will most likely end up with a leak.

peace

·
Banned
601 Posts
By tightenning from the bottom to the top, it makes sure that there is no pressure on the joints and that everything is seated right when the next set of bolts are tightenned.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The order (bottom up) Hippy posted is pretty much the consensus among the posted installs by Vishnu, Perrin, etc. The uppipe->manifold connection is the one most prone to leak, so you torque it first before any directional pressure is on the uppipe.

VV

1 - 9 of 9 Posts