ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To start forgive me if I have misunderstood some of the information I have gathered, I am not really a car person.

For a little background I'm 18 and would have to finance it which isn't so bad as my parents will pay for my insurance so long as I am in school and will cosign so I can use their credit. I will hopefully have 5-8k to put down and would probably get a used WRX.

So currently I am daily driving a 2011 Ford Fusion SEL, and it is a great car, it goes fast I guess, gets good MPG, and has a nice ride. But, it is 8 years old, still runs and looks great, but I want something new. My friend likes WRX's and he told me I should get one so I started to research and I am now kind of hesitant on if I should go for it or not. I know Subaru has a reputation for reliable and quality cars that can last you a long while but, it is sounding like the WRX is not included. I have seen some people say the MPG isn't great and you have to get 91+ when you fill up (which isn't a big deal for me bc I'm not going to be going 90 everywhere) or the engine will shit itself cuz the turbos need higher octane. On the subject of turbos, some people have said the WRX turbos have massive lag while others say it is less than the STi, I haven't ever driven a car that has a turbo, but is this going to be a problem if for example, I need to pass someone quick so I don't miss my exit? Does the 4-cylinder put out enough power on its own for this to not be a problem or does most of the power come from the turbos? Is this even a problem I should really care about if I'm not trying to race people? Others have said the transmission is like "glass" and it can easily just die if you don't shift right or the RPM goes too high.(Obviously if you are red lining like a retard it will.) I have also seen some people complain that if they are going from 1 stop sign to another in 1st gear and are coasting, it will slip out of first and into neutral and having to pay a decent amount of money to get it fixed. I don't plan on beating the car to shit, just a daily driver and I work at like 3am - 7am so there isn't usually traffic. I will also be "learning" how to drive manual on this car, I understand how to do it I just haven't done it, but with the transmission being so delicate is that even a good idea?

To those of you who own a newer 2015+ WRX vouch for this info? I want a decent AWD car and thew WRX sounds like it, but the things listed above are kind of scaring me away since I can get a AWD for cheaper and if I want to go fast, with a bigger engine, nicer interior, etc. I understand all cars have their problems but, is the risk really worth it? I don't want to be making $500/month payments for a car that needs a new transmission or rebuilt engine 2 months after buying it.

For those of you who are going to say, "Oh, well if you can get a better one for cheaper then why don't you?" I really want a manual car that has about the same power as the car I'm currently driving and a car that I can have some fun with occasionally. From what I see, they also don't lose their value nearly as fast as most other cars, so when it comes time to sell it, I'm can get more than 5k for it. Also I want something easy to work on so I don't have to go to a mechanic to get something simple done, since the community around these cars is so strong I can basically buy the part and google how to put it on.

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
Keep what you have. I won't dissect your entire post but I'll leave my opinions.

Yeah, the 4 pot is quick, just about as fast as a v6 Accord. That's faster than you should have at your age coupled with the tendency for teenagers to drive it like they stole it. In my entire driving career i can think of 1 time in my 20+ years driving I've really needed more power to keep me undead, and even then luck played the bigger role.

They are reliable, but not compared to your average commuter. Repairs are expensive and parts come with the added rice tax common with any car that is fast and furious. The newer fa20f in the 15 and newer wrx is certainly seeing better reliability however there are plenty of issues. If you do smoke an engine and Subaru of America gets any hint or thought the vehicle was abused, modified, or mistreated you'll be footing the 10k dollar bill to replace the engine.

However, what you have runs, is probably in good shape per what you've said, safer, and more economical. You would be out of your mind to change it. It's better to have a car that runs and is easy to keep running than a "cool" car that's always broken down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's better to have a car that runs and is easy to keep running than a "cool" car that's always broken down.
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I might look for other options that are more reliable but, are they really that bad? I live in Minnesota so for winters i need something that I know I won't slide off the road in, i hear that the wrx awd is amazing. Would a Lancer be a better buy then? I have heard good things about Mitsubishi's awd as well.

·
Super Modulator
19,282 Posts
Winter tires are more important than AWD.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,288 Posts
I will never own another Mitsubishi. I don't know you, but you've done me no harm and I cannot think of any reason that you should be punished with a Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Winter tires are more important than AWD.
Yes but the neighbor hood I live in doesn't get its streets plowed for the first week after snowing, wouldn't awd be better for not getting stuck? I understand winter tires are important as well and I had planned to get some anyway, but I'm not going to be able to buy winter tires and the car at the same time and I'm planning on buying something in november

·
Super Modulator
19,282 Posts
You might be surprised just how capable modern 2WD cars are with winter tires. Sigh. OK, I don't think we will get over the "must have AWD" hump today.

Have you looked at the new Mazda 3? It comes with an enormous 2.5L engine and AWD as an option! Great fuel economy and -- wait for it -- a STANDARD transmission?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might be surprised just how capable modern 2WD cars are with winter tires. Sigh. OK, I don't think we will get over the "must have AWD" hump today.

Have you looked at the new Mazda 3? It comes with an enormous 2.5L engine and AWD as an option! Great fuel economy and -- wait for it -- a STANDARD transmission?!
Yeah after research I got over awd, thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,288 Posts
I’m a fan of the Camry. It’s a better car than the Impreza IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
SD_GR
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing