ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed today that my Mechanical boost/vacuum gauge is slightly unsteady while idling. It moves about 5 +/-1 CM/HG while idling. Almost erratic.

Is this normal? other than that it is running fine, but I SWORE I read that an unsteady vacuum can mean blow by (worn ring lands) or gasket failure...

or could I just have a slight leak.

Don't really notice it one its warmed up 100%, just while warming up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got the same in mine car. I wold say it is normal. Am I right?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles?

You ever replace PCV?
80k.... Old dude owned it to commute prior to me owning it. I honestly should have bought a Metro (It VERY rarely sees 4k+...)

Its so bad I have old people in Lincolns smoking my ass all day.

Ok you get the point I'm easy on it. Anyway, yes just replaced the PCV valve about 2 weeks ago. 99.9% of the time its pretty steady at 50cm/hg or 20 in/lbs. Never flutters during boost, just while warming up, and once in a great while while warm idle.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
80k.... Old dude owned it to commute prior to me owning it. I honestly should have bought a Metro (It VERY rarely sees 4k+...)

Its so bad I have old people in Lincolns smoking my ass all day.

Ok you get the point I'm easy on it. Anyway, yes just replaced the PCV valve about 2 weeks ago. 99.9% of the time its pretty steady at 50cm/hg or 20 in/lbs. Never flutters during boost, just while warming up, and once in a great while while warm idle.
Stock ECU map? Do you frequently park it outside in the snow?

Ever replaced your spark plugs?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock ECU map? Do you frequently park it outside in the snow?

Ever replaced your spark plugs?
Spark plugs and air filter were replaced when I bough it, about 3k miles ago. Its always outside, but I have a block heater and its always plugged in. I haven't flashed the ECU and I don't run any EM. And I have reset it twice, once after Up-Pipe install and once after I cleaned the MAF and replaced the PCV valve. I'm 99.9% sure its a stock map.

It could be a leak, its nylon tubing with compression fittings. I think tom. I'm going to switch to actual vacuum hose with proper fittings and small zip ties on the ends to ensure its sealed.

Think I'm going to do a compression check on it this weekend. One thing that is weird is it holds a little over 14lbs 2-5 gear....... Never had a check engine light. I guess it could be a failing gasket, vacuum leak (anywhere) or lost compression (bad compression rings, or going bad)

·
Banned
327 Posts
I just noticed today that my Mechanical boost/vacuum gauge is slightly unsteady while idling. It moves about 5 +/-1 CM/HG while idling. Almost erratic.

Is this normal? other than that it is running fine, but I SWORE I read that an unsteady vacuum can mean blow by (worn ring lands) or gasket failure...

or could I just have a slight leak.

Don't really notice it one its warmed up 100%, just while warming up.
what exacly is blow by in a turbo. i know in the engine it means when gases and what not escpe into the crankshaft casing, but i never got what it meant in a turbo.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what exacly is blow by in a turbo. i know in the engine it means when gases and what not escpe into the crankshaft casing, but i never got what it meant in a turbo.
Well I was referring to cylinder blow by. But blow by in a turbo, could mean bad seals, where the compressed air was actually escaping through the bearings/seals on the compressor housing. Or just as bad, exhaust gasses on the turbine side escaping through seals/bearings.

I know I need a tune, but I'm still weighing my options of a complete V7 swap. COMPLETE. For now it gets me from point A to B. I have a friend that is coming down in a couple of weeks and he has a tactrix cable and is going to flash stage 1 for me and let me keep the cable for a while and datalog. I'm also will be learning the tuning game with my brothers JDM B16 and Hondata, NA so less of a chance of grenading anything. Hopefully I'll learn alot from road tuning it and I can start tuning myself....

Reading FAQ's about Tuning for 30-40hours, you tend to learn alot of do's and don'ts about tuning. And what to look for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts