ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After posting in two other locations in this forum, it was recommended that I try here.

Now that I've bought a 2008 WRX, 4D with Premium package, I'm not happy with the sound system. The stock Premium sound packages in my Passat and my wife's RAV4 sound MUCH better. Is there anyone recommended in the Gaithersburg area who could tweak my system (new speakers? amp?) to give me around the same quality sound as I'm used to?

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
Gaithersburg MD?

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I have the 07 premium (they called it limited in 07) and I agree... I am planning on buying the subaru subwoofer (mounts under the passenger seat). Some people have told me that will make it sound much better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the 07 premium (they called it limited in 07) and I agree... I am planning on buying the subaru subwoofer (mounts under the passenger seat). Some people have told me that will make it sound much better.

I'll look into that, but I'd like to have some confidence that it will make the difference before spending the money.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
The sub will help tremendously but... IMHO the Subaru "Premium" sound system in my WRX was barely "adequate". In my STi I went complete after market and was much much happier for less money.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
One of my buddies had the Subaru sub, and honestly I couldn't tell the difference between that and when a stock system. I ended up putting a 12" in my trunk and have been quite satisfied with it!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Same boat: I have the '08 with premium and navi and the sound system is sub par. The sub is mounted under the driver seat which is cool because it's out of sight and doesn't take any trunk space, but I can hardly feel the rumble in my butt (let's not make a joke of that phrase :rolleyes:) and that's bad news when it's right under me. I'd like to upgrade the speakers in the doors but as far as the sub problem goes, maybe another similar sub under the passenger seat? It might give me the vibe I'm lookin' for without destroying that stock, clean look I'm tryin' to uphold.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i just put 2 12'' alpine type E subs in my trunk with an alpine mrp-450 amp. I am quite happy with the result, and the two subs, enclosure, and amp ran me $400. it was a package deal at best buy :tongue:

i would suggest at the very least to upgrade your head unit. that alone will make your factory speakers sound better.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
The key to getting louder low tones is volume. You're never going to get anything quite 'butt rumbling' with a speaker with that small of a circumference, and such a small casing. Subs use the volume of the box to act like a resonator and increase the amplitude of the low tones.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I hate to tell you but any decent aftermarket stereo and speakers will sound sooo much better (and be waaaay louder if you want) than any 'premium' factory unit.

There is just no comparison. If you have about $500, you can get a really decent setup.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just put 2 12'' alpine type E subs in my trunk with an alpine mrp-450 amp. I am quite happy with the result, and the two subs, enclosure, and amp ran me $400. it was a package deal at best buy :tongue:

i would suggest at the very least to upgrade your head unit. that alone will make your factory speakers sound better.
I'll keep an eye out for deals at CC and BB, and keep looking around. As for replacing the head unit, doing that may cost me use of the steering wheel controls and use of the auxillary input, both of which I wish to keep.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hate to tell you but any decent aftermarket stereo and speakers will sound sooo much better (and be waaaay louder if you want) than any 'premium' factory unit.

There is just no comparison. If you have about $500, you can get a really decent setup.
I'm not an audiophile, and not looking for a great system. The factory premium sound systems in my Passat (Monsoon) and RAV4 (JBL) sounded fine to me. I will be depositing the checks from the sale of my Passat this morning. As I got $2000 over the offer from CarMax, I've got some money to play with to improve the sound system and buy a decent GPS (looking at the Garmin 680, Garmin 720, or the Tom Tom 920).

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I just ordered my subwoofer... I will update the post when I have it installed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
you could get the pioneer 7' indash for that amount no steering wheel things but easy ipod interface and built in navi, and have money left over for all new speakers

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you could get the pioneer 7' indash for that amount no steering wheel things but easy ipod interface and built in navi, and have money left over for all new speakers
I don't need an iPod interface (I use other MP3 players) and don't want the navigation because none of the in-dash units have traffic information (I ordered a Tomtom 920T last night). I do use the steering wheel controls, especially the mute when I get a phone call.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have an 07 so their were no steering wheel controls to worry about. I ended up putting an inexpensive alpine head unit in (car also came with factory subwoofer) and i would consider the results acceptable. I wouldn’t doubt if you looked around you could find some aftermarket head unit that can utilize the steering wheel controls, and they make a huge difference in sound quality.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=300&i=500IVAW205&tp=5684

I know its expensive, but it claims to have steering wheel control capability, and im sure it has all kinds of audio inputs for you MP3 player, so im sure you can find the aftermarket unit that meets your requirments
"Compatible vehicles include many Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen vehicles and Harley Davidson motorcycles"

No Subaru on the list.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts