Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine is dead set on the New wrx or sti. He is not a stranger to fast cars and has had a 500HP mazda speed three as well as driven much faster cars.

Anyway he wants the new body style with the boxer rumble. After doing a bit of research, i found that unequal length header is the reason for the boxer rumble. I also read many threads of people trying to solve this dilemma.

However everytime someone mentions it they get bombarded with the same facts twin scroll turbo works better with Equal length headers.

Even still he is dead set on the body style and loves alot of the new WRX features.

My question is if (big if) i can get someone to make an unequal length turbo manifold could a Single turbo, or a VGT or even the new variable twinscroll turbo be used with the unequal legnth manifold?

Price is irelevant in this discussion this is simply an is it possible would it be possible to make it as effiecient or more efficient even than the current WRX and have thier boxer rumble also?

·
Super Moderator
11,456 Posts
So a friend of mine is dead set on the New wrx or sti. He is not a stranger to fast cars and has had a 500HP mazda speed three as well as driven much faster cars.

Anyway he wants the new body style with the boxer rumble. After doing a bit of research, i found that unequal length header is the reason for the boxer rumble. I also read many threads of people trying to solve this dilemma.

However everytime someone mentions it they get bombarded with the same facts twin scroll turbo works better with Equal length headers.

Even still he is dead set on the body style and loves alot of the new WRX features.

My question is if (big if) i can get someone to make an unequal length turbo manifold could a Single turbo, or a VGT or even the new variable twinscroll turbo be used with the unequal legnth manifold?

Price is irelevant in this discussion this is simply an is it possible would it be possible to make it as effiecient or more efficient even than the current WRX and have thier boxer rumble also?
There is zero reason to keep the unequal length headers.

Twin scroll turbos require equal length headers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I said in my post i know that equal legnth headers work better with twin scroll turbo. my question was money aside is there a possibility a custom manifold could be made and a turbo paired with it that could be as efficient or more efficient with unequal legnth headers.

And there isnt zero reason my friend has money and he wants a newer wrx and he wants the boxer rumble.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
With the right amount of money and a big enough hammer.. Anything is possible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
If he is that worried about it, just buy an STi. STi's are still using the EJ257 with a factory unequal length exhaust manifold. It would be foolish to run an unequal length manifold on the new wrx's with the twin scroll turbo. Pretty sure it wouldn't work at all.

If your "friend" is worried about horsepower and no stranger to fast cars, then why would he want to do something that is detrimental to horsepower and torque. Why do you think all the STi guys and previous generation wrx's swap to the equal length? Because its better in every way shape and form. And I actually like the exhaust note of ELH's. The unequal length exhaust manifold is actually poorly engineered.

·
Super Moderator
11,456 Posts
I said in my post i know that equal legnth headers work better with twin scroll turbo. my question was money aside is there a possibility a custom manifold could be made and a turbo paired with it that could be as efficient or more efficient with unequal legnth headers.

And there isnt zero reason my friend has money and he wants a newer wrx and he wants the boxer rumble.
I’ll reiterate. Unequal length headers will not work with a twin scroll turbo. For it to work you need exhaust pulses hitting the turbo evenly.

There is absolutely zero way to do this without equal length headers. Any change to the length will change the velocity and change the timing of the exhaust pulse. So if you want a surging poorly performing twin scroll go for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,456 Posts
tomei just made uel headers for the 2015+ wrx and they sound great ill know if theres any performance loss when i install them in two weeks when they come
Your turbo doesn't work with uel headers. It doesn't matter if tomei made them or the Lord Almighty. It requires exhaust pulses to be even and the same velocity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your turbo doesn't work with uel headers. It doesn't matter if tomei made them or the Lord Almighty. It requires exhaust pulses to be even and the same velocity.
youtube subie speed uel and twll me the turbo doesnt work sound like it does and i dont think that tomei would put a product out there that wouldnt work or would hurt the turbo or motor because that would give them a bad name and rep and they have to much respect in the industry to do something like that

·
Super Moderator
11,456 Posts
youtube subie speed uel and twll me the turbo doesnt work sound like it does and i dont think that tomei would put a product out there that wouldnt work or would hurt the turbo or motor because that would give them a bad name and rep and they have to much respect in the industry to do something like that
A twin scroll turbo doesn't work properly without the equal length headers. Period. I don't care what marketing tells you. How about you go research how the twinscroll turbo in the Subaru works and explain to me how exhaust pulses that are not even nor the same speed is supposed to work.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
This thread wasn't useful 2 years ago.

Let me check it's usefulness now

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Nope, still useless.

Reactions: WRX-maniac
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status