ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enjoy:

Nissan's GT-R super coupe is set to be a star at next week's Tokyo motor show. So far, the best we've seen of the it are spy shots of prototype vehicles getting hammered around places such as Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca in Monterey, California, and along the famed Nurburgring race track in Germany.

That was then, this is now: Here's the new GT-R in all its un-disguised glory.

The reason you get to see it this week instead of next is simple--the embargo on information was broken by Motor Trend magazine which put the car on its December cover; an image of which was released to promote an award.

The Nissan GT-R will go toe-to-toe with the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and Porsche 911 Turbo. The GT-R's twin-turbo V6 gives it a startling 0 to 60 mph time of near 3.5 seconds and a top speed of 192 mph. Base price is expected to be less than $80,000.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
Would the RX-8 front fenders and Lancer nose fit without modification or would they need a little trimming here and there to line up properly?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Enjoy:
The Nissan GT-R will go toe-to-toe with the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and Porsche 911 Turbo. The GT-R's twin-turbo V6 gives it a startling 0 to 60 mph time of near 3.5 seconds and a top speed of 192 mph. Base price is expected to be less than $80,000.
About GD time:cool: Church:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to admit, the front clip is both addictive and repellant at the same time. It reminds me of a a cutaway showing the underlying structure...but it is also reminiscent of a wounded creature's bones showing through a major cut in the skin.

If you cover up various parts and isolate the different pieces, visually, the rear is audi-esque, the front nose is more VW than Evo, the top, oddly enough looks BMW6-ish, and the front fenders.....kind of mishmash beteen 350Z and Mazda8.

I hope it is smaller than it looks. Cars are simply too bloated these days.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Would the RX-8 front fenders and Lancer nose fit without modification or would they need a little trimming here and there to line up properly?
:rotfl:

I'm not a big fan of its looks. It's not horribly ugly but its not nice either. I don't see people looking back years from now and saying that was a pretty nice looking car.

·
29,234 Posts
Mimicking all those cars might at least save some money on car covers. $80K is good coin in this economy. Nissan have a talent for introducing expensive cars during financial crises.

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mimicking all those cars might at least save some money on car covers. $80K is good coin in this economy. Nissan have a talent for introducing expensive cars during financial crises.
GTR: The 300ZX for today. Overpriced, under-realized potential.

You could also insert Supra and 3000GTVR4 in place of 300ZX.

·
29,234 Posts
No FWD
:tongue:
I think the 350z looks better. Why couldn't they have just put the engine drive train etc into a Z.

I suppose they'd have to do something different to sell it for $80K. I'm getting a bad feeling about this. Honda managed to sell a car that expensive but just barely, and it was much more attractive.

·
Registered
480 Posts
All I can say is that I am super excited to get this car into my dealership. My service manager allready told me that I will get to P.D.I. the very first one that comes in. So that means a TEST DRIVE!!!!! I am like a little boy waiting for X-mas. When ever we get it I will be sure to bring my video camera and take a crap load of footage and will write a summary about my inital impressions. So stay tuned.

P.S. Iamgreaterthanyoucuzigettodriveoneandyoudont!jk

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
I suppose they'd have to do something different to sell it for $80K. I'm getting a bad feeling about this. Honda managed to sell a car that expensive but just barely, and it was much more attractive.
Yeah thats true. I already find it odd that people spend to 35k+ for some of the more loaded 350's.

·
29,234 Posts
Yeah thats true. I already find it odd that people spend to 35k+ for some of the more loaded 350's.

All things considered I think the 300ZX was the worst case, since people were spending that much 15 years ago and there's been inflation since then. Still, it makes me stop and think knowing that the Z originally sold for... $3,500.

How and why we gained the extra 0 is something for the economists to talk about.

Who and why will spend $80K on a Nissan in 2009 is probably something for UFOlogists to figure out.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
All things considered I think the 300ZX was the worst case, since people were spending that much 15 years ago and there's been inflation since then. Still, it makes me stop and think knowing that the Z originally sold for... $3,500.

How and why we gained the extra 0 is something for the economists to talk about.

Who and why will spend $80K on a Nissan in 2009 is probably something for UFOlogists to figure out.
Well I could see it being somewhat like the GT500 phenomenon where now rich baby boomers are buying the cars they couldn't have but wanted as kids for exorbitant prices. However the time between the original Shelby mustangs and the new "Shelby" mustangs was much longer than the time between the original GTR and the new one. I'm not sure how many of the people who have/had gotten excited over the "skyline" they could never have, are rich enough to afford an 80K car.

·
29,234 Posts
Well I could see it being somewhat like the GT500 phenomenon where now rich baby boomers are buying the cars they couldn't have but wanted as kids for exorbitant prices. However the time between the original Shelby mustangs and the new "Shelby" mustangs was much longer than the time between the original GTR and the new one. I'm not sure how many of the people who have/had gotten excited over the "skyline" they could never have, are rich enough to afford an 80K car.
My guess is twelve or so.

·
Premium Member
23,369 Posts
nice it finally made it officially here to the U.S.
(aka not grey market import)

otoh:
80k get a '08STI and a EVO X and still have change left for mods :p

·
Registered
0 Posts
Glad to see Nissan finally bring over something hot.

Sad to see they decided to go all out so it's unattainable for most enthusiasts. And for those that can afford them, chances are they won't be daily drivers so us enthusiasts who can't afford one won't even have a chance to drool on one very often.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts