Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help understanding the various window tint options. Based on my searching here, I am baffled as I had no clue there are options. I just thought window tint was window tint and the only thing that matter was % and whether it was professionally done or not. Clearly I have a lot to learn and I am hoping some of you can help me out.

When I got my window tint done 10 years ago, I paid like 150 for the whole car at 35% all around. I can see spots where it wasnt quality but overall, I was happy. Now, I want dark windows. I am not worried about legal as my state has no issue with rear windows and I was going to get a doctors note for approval on the front. I know its not for everyone but I really prefer darker windows.

Here are my wants:
  • Dark (20% maybe?)
  • Interior protection
  • Reduced heat

I cant really think of anything else. While I had been expecting to pay about $200 total, I find window tint to be important and will pay the crazy amounts I have seen for quality that matches my needs. I live in DE so I get a legit mix of hot summers and cold winters but nothing harsh enough either direction for location to be too much of a factor (i think?).

Anyway, I hope some of you can help me out a bit as I want to get this done. Its the only think my car "needs" in my opinion. Other mods are for fun, this one is important.

Thanks!

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
If your goal is to maximize heat reduction and be dark without completely compromising night time visibility, then you want to find a place that sells and installs ceramic window tint. Ceramic window tint is fairly new to the market (about 5-10 years new) and is easily the most quality tint available. It increases UV protection drastically over similar carbon, metallic or dyed tint. 20-15% should be all the darker you need. Go any darker than that and it becomes a large burden, especially at night.

·
Registered
9 Posts
new owner of 17 WRB WRX here. I just got 25% tint all around. 32% is the legal limit in GA but I usually go 20%. In my opinion 25% is not too dark and not too light - just right.
It does awesome job on heat reduction and UV protection. The other benefit is for privacy and security. I sometime leave thing on the carpet (back seat) and you can't really see them. Out of sight.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
I'm not a fan of obvious modifications that can lead to "fix-it" tickets (e.g., angled exhaust cannons, excessive tint, etc.), because it gives LEO a legit reason to stop you. If you have a few adult beverages with your friends, and you're close to that limit, that tint job could lead to a very expensive citation, as well as your name in the local paper.

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
I don't know the tint level on my car but it's black enough you can't hardly see through it. At night it's impossible to see anything out the sides or rear of the vehicle. Stick to the legal regulations and get a decent ceramic tint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
Find a reputable tint shop. 3M ColorStable tint is a great product. I've never had any dulling/discoloring of it on any cars.
I've tinted my last 7 cars and never got a ticket. It really depends where you live and if you drive like an idiot or not.
I don't mind having different shades on front vs. rear. I do 35% front / 5% rear. It's never caused me any grief and I can see everything just fine. I can tell you it's usually between $350-$450 where I go. That's everything except the windshield. Personally, I wouldn't go below 35% on the front windows. It makes LEOs nervous. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ceramic tint by far is the best for you. Nothing will come close to it's UV/heat blocking ability. It's more expensive but well worth it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ceramic it is! Im debating what to do with the front windows for the reasons mentioned but at least i know to hunt down a ceramic installer in my area.

Thanks gentlemen

·
Registered
16 Posts
has anyone had ceramic installed by a good shop? I'm wondering how much I can expect to pay for the 3M Ceramic on the WRX
TIA

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
has anyone had ceramic installed by a good shop? I'm wondering how much I can expect to pay for the 3M Ceramic on the WRX
TIA
More than I'm willing to spend. Generally about 50% more than a premium tint is what I'm finding. I've used 3M ColorStable forever and have always been happy with it. Call around and get quotes...only way you'll know for sure.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
TIA
It all depends on location. ie what state etc. Tinting is cheaper down in the south where laws are more relaxed and it's more common to have tint. Here in Ohio a ceramic decent brand with a good installer is about $400 for a 4 door sedan.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I live in MN and the laws limit to 50% tint for passenger vehicles, but surprisingly, the laws do not apply to SUVs, trucks and crossovers, according to the tint professional I used. I went with the legal limit using the premium ceramic tint and the difference in heat protection is significant. When driving around without tint, the heat I felt on my left arm and side of face from direct sunlight was much worse than with the tint on. I usually park in an open lot at work with the shiny windshield shade and internal temps were a bit cooler after sitting under the sun all day after tinting. I didn't use a thermometer to measure it, but it just felt cooler getting in.

The other reason why I like tint is the fact that it helps hold the glass together in the event of a window break. My old car had a couple windows break due to a hailstorm and they didn't shatter into a thousand tiny pieces everywhere like the untinted cars next to me. I was able to remove the broken windows mostly intact and vacuum out the pieces easily. I paid about $375 for everything including moonroof, which was tinted to 20%.

·
Registered
129 Posts
another +1 for ceramic

I have a VW rabbit with 20% all around 3M regular tint, and my WRX got 35% ceramic tint all the way around. The 20% was a bit too dark, and hard to see out of at night. It's also faded a little since the initial installation, is probably somewhere around 35% or so now so it isn't as bad. I can't speak for the ceramic tint as it's only a few months old, but in my experience I haven't seen much if any fading on ceramic tint yet.

That being said, the 35% ceramic tint does a much better job of keeping the interior of my car cooler than the tint on my VW, even if it's supposed to let in more light.

Where i'm located, regular tint was quoted at $250 for my subaru, Ceramic quoted at $350.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts