ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to the body modifications forum and a search of the database yielded little.

I've noticed on some of the newer "supercars" that the designers are turning to underbody panels, external aerodynamic vortex generators (a la Evo MR), and other low profile additions that increase downforce aside from a trunk-mounted wing.

Has there been any attempts to apply these aerodynamic techniques to the Impreza? I'd love to ditch the wing without hurting high-speed stability.

-B4

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't know why this was moved to 'Engine Performance" since it has nothing to do with engines, but only external body mods for increasing downforce.

Hmmm.

-B4.

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
A mountain states dude (scubynubie) has been messing around with this a little, maybe he'll share insight into his home depot front air dam. We've talked about fiberglassing some panels that cover everything possible, but I haven't done much research yet...

I do have a fairly large skid plate under the engine, but the way it's angled had me a little concerned at 143mph :eek3:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Well, for about $26, you can go to Home Depot, and Napa and get the stuff that you need to make a front lip spoiler from lawn edging... I did it because I wanted to make the front look a little more complete, but I swear that it really cuts down on the air flowing under the car, and is much quiter at 60 + mph...

I really like the idea of smoothing out the underneath of the car, but just haven't found a good way to do it yet, but the newest idea is to mold something with chicken wire or the like, then cover it with fiberglass...

I'll post when I have something to show :D

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
The 04 (my current car) has gone a lot further w/ this concept than my 02 did. Ofcourse the trade off is changing oil is now a PITA.

Big Sky

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big Sky WRX said:
The 04 (my current car) has gone a lot further w/ this concept than my 02 did. Ofcourse the trade off is changing oil is now a PITA.

Big Sky
How did you do it? Is the bottom kept smooth or is it shaped to direct the airflow in a certain direction? I figure once the shape is determined, you could ay rib-reinforced CF and cut it to shape, then pin and safety wire it to the chassis.

-B4.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
B4gery said:
How did you do it? Is the bottom kept smooth or is it shaped to direct the airflow in a certain direction? I figure once the shape is determined, you could ay rib-reinforced CF and cut it to shape, then pin and safety wire it to the chassis.

-B4.
I'm talking FHI- the front underpanel is much more susbstanstive and longer (goes all the way to the jacking plate) than in 02. There is no doubt it was built this way for aero reasons.

Big Sky

·
Registered
34 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
I'm talking FHI- the front underpanel is much more susbstanstive and longer (goes all the way to the jacking plate) than in 02. There is no doubt it was built this way for aero reasons.

Big Sky
So in other words the plastic underpanel/shield is longer than before ?. Can the new panel be used on the 02-03's ?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Alot of honda road racers are killing 2 birds with one stone with home depot lawn edging air dams. They run the edging to dump all the diverted air onto the brake rotors and it works quite well. The reason all the OEM's are screwing around with underbody aero so much is that they can't have really low pro. front air dams.

Problem is for an air dam to be effective it has to almost scrape the ground.... alot of the honda guys don't run them on the street but bolt them in for track/auto-x days. They also bolt them to the underside with very thick rubber bushings and angle them rear slightly, so that if they do bottom out while cornering things just bend conveniently out of the way and spring back into shape.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts