Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took off the muffler (stock) on my car, and im definetly lovin' the sound im getting from it, not to mention the few extra hp its probly making, but i have a few concerns.

mainly, that the exhaust gas now hits that joint that stems from the rear differential - and im not sure what the exhaust'll be doing to it- the car has been running like this for about a month now, so can someone gimme an idea of how much sh!t has already hit the fan, or am i in for a suprise later on? :D

-Robert

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
You just unbolted the muffler and left the exhaust shooting at the rear axle?

Robert!! Buddy!! Do yourself a favor and hoof it on down to your local muffler shop and have them build you a pipe that will bolt up to your midpipe and direct the exhaust out the back. You're shooting hot exhaust gasses on your axle seals and various other things that you will need to drive your car.

Look at this thread for info about what I did.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just do like i showed you on my car Robert and get the pipe and flange from a muffler shop! My pipe points down so it doesnt hit the diffential or anything!!! Cost like $15 at a local muffler shop!!

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dude! where'd you go to get it done? a few shops that i went to handed me a shovel-full of BS so i didn't wanna bother with 'em

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
RobPA just had a mandrel-bent straight-pipe put on his car from the Godspeed downpipe out the tail for $159. Now he has a Godspeed uppipe, Godspeed downpipe, and a straight pipe. No mufflers, no cats. His car sounds like it has a small block in it. :D

-Jim

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
am i actually doing any damage to my car? i have the rear differential protector plate, and i've looked under the car, and i havnt *seen* any visible damage - what could happen? its not like my rear axle is just gonna fly off randomly...or is it? :D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Penguinking said:
am i actually doing any damage to my car? i have the rear differential protector plate, and i've looked under the car, and i havnt *seen* any visible damage - what could happen? its not like my rear axle is just gonna fly off randomly...or is it? :D
I'd think soot would be starting to form under there. As mentioned, you may heat up your rear diff oil or shaft carrier bearings a bit. Just get a pipe, you ninny!!! :D

-Jim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you tell the muffler shop you need it for *ahem* "competition use" only? ;) If you showed up with the stock muffler on and told them it was for competition only, I bet they'd give you less trouble. :)

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MadDog said:
Did you tell the muffler shop you need it for *ahem* "competition use" only? ;) If you showed up with the stock muffler on and told them it was for competition only, I bet they'd give you less trouble. :)
::slaps self in the head::

good idea :D i think that'll give me more *cred* when i tell them how its just for "the track" ;)
- more than anything im just too damn lazy to put the muffler back on :cool:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
woah...less then 200 bucks for pipe back from the downpipe???? wouldnt this be loud as hell though? Cuase i would be all over that idea if i wouldnt be getting pulled over every 2 seconds... would it be louder then your standard honda with a fart can?

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im sure it doesnt sound like a honda fart can, nor would it be as loud since theres a big fat turbo in the exhaust pipe...otherwise, im sure its hella loud

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
aaronwillen said:
woah...less then 200 bucks for pipe back from the downpipe???? wouldnt this be loud as hell though? Cuase i would be all over that idea if i wouldnt be getting pulled over every 2 seconds... would it be louder then your standard honda with a fart can?
Ive heard Robs car with no muffler and I imagine a pipe would be slightly queiter so if your exhaust system has at least 2 cats then its loud but not that loud, as in if you next to a mustang with an exhaust no one will notice you. But if you have no cats I imagine you would be pulled over every 2 secs.

Alex

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alrighty...put the damn muffler back on :(

...but tomorrow im going to see if a muffler shop can fix me up a straight pipe! :D

-Robert

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
but hwat if you have a performance muffler and no cats? about how loud do you guys think it would be. Louder than lets say a Firebird with flowmasters(just an example cause they are loud)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
PolarisSnT said:
but hwat if you have a performance muffler and no cats? about how loud do you guys think it would be. Louder than lets say a Firebird with flowmasters(just an example cause they are loud)
Which aftermarket exhaust? Blitz nur spec will be loud as hell a prodrive or nur spec touring wont be nearly as loud, still louder than stock though. Find someone near you with a wrx thats catless there not hard to find, and listen for your self.

Alex

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
afpdl said:

Which aftermarket exhaust? Blitz nur spec will be loud as hell a prodrive or nur spec touring wont be nearly as loud, still louder than stock though. Find someone near you with a wrx thats catless there not hard to find, and listen for your self.

Alex

in a few weeks you'll be able to listen to my exhaust if you wanna hear a catless one :D

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Penguinking said:
in a few weeks you'll be able to listen to my exhaust if you wanna hear a catless one :D
Let me know if you need help with the install. I already have my number and waiting in line to hear my first catless WRX:D...in "real-life" that is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
PolarisSnT said:
a "performance muffler" such as the STI option one with no cats will be louder than a system containing all three cats and then no muffler but a straight pipe instead. I've had this and many other configurations.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts