Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, any advice for wrx snow pack tires that have settled in a thaw and refroze and severely unbalanced? This happened to me recently in upper peninsula Michigan so when I went to return home, I could barely get my wrx to exceed 60 mph on the hwy…the car wasn’t shimmying, it was jumping. I would typically go to a self serve car wash and blow the frozen debris out of my rims at home but with northern temps all these types of car washes were closed! my coworkers passed me in a dodge minivan that traveled up in the same snow storm and sat in the same thaw situation, wth?

My only thoughts were I would have to stop and get a hotel and ask a garage to house the car and thaw me or I was going to call a flatbed tow truck and have them load me up and haul me home. It was bad. this subaru wasn't so reliable. Thanks for your thoughts in advance :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you can see the snow or ice you can clear it out with a snow brush or similar tool . . . it may get most of the snow out. The other day I couldn't go over 45 mph without the car shaking violently . . . until I pulled over and cleared the snow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, all i had was my snow/ice brush that i use at home to clear car. i'll have to start carrying a heavier tool belt if i end up having to make this trip again in the winter! When home, I'm always able to blow the junk out at a local car wash. thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is the primary reason that I chose cheap steel wheels for my snow tires. Less of a chance to get impacted with snow/ice.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Yes, wheels make the difference. I have never had an unbalanced wheel issue because of ice/snow. I may not be Yuper extreme but Cleveland is bad enough.....

·
Registered
354 Posts
I got it before in Cleveland when I ran my snow tires on my stock 17 wrx wheels but no longer get it even with deep snow on my new winter setup. Even a few weekends ago in "the big storm". I would have to agree wheels make a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts