Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! New here and in the market for a wrx/sti

Budget is relatively low and I’m looking for a better commuter than my titan.
I have a line on a pretty clean(from pics) 04 sti. Bone stock right down to the clutch, allegedly.
The kicker is that it has 227k miles.
Now a couple questions.
1) am I crazy for even considering it?
2) do you trust a high mileage sti like this over a wrx with an sti hybrid swap or a rebuilt motor?
The sti is listed a little more expensive than the 2 wrx mentioned.

Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you're looking for a reliable, cheap commuter there are many, many better options than a high mileage STI . . . even in stock form you would be taking a chance on parts failing from age/mileage in my opinion (not to mention not not knowing how it was driven and maintained in the past 14 years.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand there are other options. I am looking specifically for a wrx/sti because that’s what I want.
I could be way off too, but my thinking is that an 04 that is full stock with that many miles must be driving long distances and is less likely to have been beat on than one with a bunch of mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,580 Posts
My WRX has 225K miles.

It’s stock and I maintain it by the book. I prefer authentic parts. I drive it daily and would trust it to drive across the country.

Cars like mine clearly exist. I don’t question that. I question whether cars like mine are for sale.

People like me don’t sell cars. We buy them new and maintain them. My MR2 has 300K, my Honda Pilot 310K. Nothing’s for sale.

Your money, your call. Ask for a full service history, check the receipts, and have a shop look. I’ve got a binder of receipts and a garage of spares.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Like SD-GR said, your best investment is paying a shop whatever it takes to look over the car thoroughly, including a compression test and taking a look at the turbo. As about the turbo ever being rebuilt and timing belts being replaced every 100k miles. Take it to a shop that knows these cars well, not just any mom and pop shop. For example, we have an import shop in STL that has a very large percentage of its business in WRX's and STI's. Have the owner present, or realistically, his number in your phone and ready to answer some calls. Don't be afraid to spend money on as much shop time as it will take.

In the future, be prepared to replace a lot of parts. If you can't do it yourself you're probably going to spend a lot of money.

·
Registered
109 Posts
how much is it? are you mechanically inclined? Why do you want a WRx/STI so bad that you are willing to buy one that has 227k miles?

TBH I wouldn't even look at ANY car over 70k for a used car purchase. 70k is pusing it.

you're asking random people on a forum if a 14 year old car that has 227k miles is reliable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts