ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just found out I have a blown engine. Had it towed to a repair shop and they told me it was a rod bearing. They won't fix it, but can get a used engine. They initially quoted $6500 for the total job.

1. Does this sound reasonable?
2. Can this be repaired instead of replacing the whole engine?
3. What about a remanufactured engine?
4. Where could I get one?

It happened when I was towing a small trailer with my dirt bike on it. But two days before, I had the oil changed and they flushed it out. Would either of these have anything to do with it (not that it matters now...).

It's a 2005 WRX wagon w/ 113,000 miles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
6500 is bad....
I know when my engine blew I got a brand new sti block installed for 4000 from a subaru dealer....
You could either look into rebuilding it and making a hybrid block or just get a block from subaru
thats what i would personally do.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
6,500 for a used engine is a qoute from someone who has no interest in working on a Subaru.

You could probably get a dealership to put together a new shortblock for that.

Shop around and I'd personally avoid a used engine at this point.

The oil change might have an indirect cause. What oil did they use? What grade? Did you check the oil level before taking it into the shop for the motor work?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got a used drop in shipped for 3110.00 off millienium and then 490.00 for local install. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
834 Posts
$6500 NO WAY. That is terrible. You can get a new shortblock for around $1900. After install/tuning/ect it should be in the range of $3500-$4000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just mentioned this in another thread. Do you know what failed or caused the bearing to fail? I have a 2006 STi with 44k miles and my oil light came on. Had it towed to Subaru, they tore down engine, found spun crank bearings due to oil pick up tube failing. Replaced with new short block under warranty. Don't know if your warranty is still valid, or if it's even what happened to your engine, but I know this is happening more than people are letting on, and SOA isn't recalling it due to the #'s aren't high enough. Just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll find out more today, yeah $6500 is crazy... I'm also going to call a dealer (Mentor, OH) and see what they say about it. Keep ya posted...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We're going to try throwing in some heavy oil and see if that quiets it down for a while. I'll have to see about selling it as is or trading it in somewhere. I just can't see putting that much $$ into it at this point. :(

Anyone interested in it? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
New shortblock installed from Subaru I believe is around $4k, total. To be honest, I would not sell it unless you just don't want it any more and this is a reason to trade up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-heavy oil didn't help.

Got a call back from the Sube dealer: $1500 for the short block and $1200 for install. Not bad sounding... course there could be other things that add up, but sounding better... might go with this route.

·
Registered
5 Posts
-heavy oil didn't help.

Got a call back from the Sube dealer: $1500 for the short block and $1200 for install. Not bad sounding... course there could be other things that add up, but sounding better... might go with this route.
Not a bad price from Subaru. Is there any kind of warranty on the new short block or do you know?
I'd still inquire about what happened, and want to see that oil pick up tube for myself. I have mine that broke at home, or what's left it. They said someone threw away the tube part, but they had the flange, which plainly showed where the tube failed and snapped off.

·
Banned
2,054 Posts
-heavy oil didn't help.

It's going to be more than that. There are lots of misc part that go into it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a bad price from Subaru. Is there any kind of warranty on the new short block or do you know?
I'd still inquire about what happened, and want to see that oil pick up tube for myself. I have mine that broke at home, or what's left it. They said someone threw away the tube part, but they had the flange, which plainly showed where the tube failed and snapped off.
one year warranty, and yeah I'd still like to know exactly what happened (if that's possible), hopefully determine that on teardown...

·
Registered
5 Posts
It will probably be more, but I'm surprised they are only offering a 1yr warranty on that. I don't know how much a reman engine would be for a Subaru, but I picked one up for my truck, spent $4500 total cost, engine, install, shop supplies, water pump, radiator, all hoses, etc. on it, and it came with a 3yr. 100k mile warranty. Like I said, granted it's an F150 and NOT a turbo Subaru, but still.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts