ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so I ordered these two parts for my stock wrx, as well as a turboxs SBC. I was just wondering if the sound was going to be any different from stock.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Catalytic converters make the exhaust note much quieter. When you have 3 on there and then remove them the sound difference can be quite drastic if you're not expecting anything. I am fully catless and was pleasantly shocked at how intoxicating the car's exhaust note sounds when catless. Not raspy at all.

·
Registered
0 Posts
You will hear all kinds of things you didn't hear before. The turbo whine and wastegate flutter too. The whine is kinda cool... the flutter isn't so cool.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I just did the Helix uppipe and downpipe install, and left the stock catback on there since I can't afford an aftermarket one. This setup deletes all the cats. Its still way quieter then any aftermarket exhaust I have heard, but just barely noticeably louder then it was before. You can hear more of the bass. I would say rather then louder then before, it just sounds different since there is more flowing through.
As for other noises, such as turbo and such, you'll definetly notice them, but more from the inside of the car rather then through the exhaust. I think a combo of no cat, with less heatshielding, means it just travels through the sides of the pipes and the engine wall better. A few other things you'll notice is that the smell of a catless engine (if your dp gets rid of both cats after the turbo). Its kinda annoying, quite noticeable, but not too bad in my opinion. I personally can't wait to get a catback exhaust, I just love the sound of the Flat 4 engine. I think I am gonna go on the quiet end with a Borla, Prodrive, Stromung or Scoobysport. Good luck with the install. Have patience and get someone who has done it before to help.

Josh

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Sound of my car when it had cats = tame.
Sound of my car catless = Mean. :D

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
TSwrx said:
okay so I ordered these two parts for my stock wrx, as well as a turboxs SBC. I was just wondering if the sound was going to be any different from stock.
To help other n00bs, it might be nice if you take sound clips before and after so we can all see what the difference in sound on a stock cat-back is. I know I'm curious as I just took the plunge and did everthing at once (TBE, UP) so it was extremely dramatic.

Also if sound clips start getting posted on here I will take before and after sound clips of my exhaust with and without my new Helix Header soon to arrive. I couldn't find any and figured I'd post some.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Electric-Mayhem said:
I just did the Helix uppipe and downpipe install, and left the stock catback on there since I can't afford an aftermarket one.

Josh
Hi! Electric-Mayhem, I am going to go for the same way as you do now. Any noticable power you gain???? how many HP you think you have now???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts