Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TurboXS Stealth Back Users Please Respond!

I installed my TurboXS Stealth back(Downpipe, cat, midpipe) this weekend. I am also running a Prodrive muffler, and the first thing I noticed, when I drove the car away from my house after the install was that there is a bird chirping whistling noise coming from underneath the hood. And then I also thought I heard an exhaust leak somewhere in the exhaust system. So I went back home, jacked up the car, and re-tightened every single bolt on the exhaust. I over tightened and broke one of the bolts that came with the kit for the cat/midpipe that goes through the bronze insert with through the springs, so I am temporarily using the stock one till I can get a replacement. Dropped the car back down, and went for a drive.

The bird chirping whistling noise is still there. And I could swear I still have a leak, but it may be that the exhaust is just REALLY loud since the sound it only happens when I romp on the gas.

I went by I-Speed on my way home and talked to Chris about my bird chirping whistling noise. He said since the downpipe is hollow and is catless, the turbo noise is more noticeably and echoes through the HUGE downpipe.

So a question for you all. Is this bird chirping whistling noise normal?

Does everyone who runs a TurboXS downpipe get this sound?

Has anyone had problems with exhaust leaks while using this exhaust?

I used all new gaskets for the turbo to downpipe, midpipe to muffler, and the gaskets that came with the kit.

[Please reply if you run this exhaust. I would like to hear your comments.

MODERATORS. PLEASE DO NOT UN-STICK THIS POST. I NEED SOME RESPONSES AND I WILL UNSTICK IT WHEN I GET SOME ANSWERS. NOTE: I AM ALSO A MODERATOR OF THIS FORUM.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL

·
Registered
325 Posts
Totally normal. . don't worry about it. You're hearing the turbo spool up as well as the wastegate actuator. You can even hear the BOV if you listen carefully. Takes some time to get used to, but I've come to rather enjoy the sound. If you don't want to hear it, then just turn up the stereo or you could wrap the downpipe.

Calvin

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's normal and the sound was always there. With the TurboXS breathing room you just hear it much better now.

You can unstick the thread now :)

Carlo

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you guys for your responce. I have been working on my car all day long trying to find an exhaust leak now. I have loosened up the down pipe and tightened the bottom part first since I thought the leak was coming from there(and I used a brand new turbo/downpipe gasket) and then tightened the rest. Started the car. Still heard it.

I also checked the seal between the mid-pipe and the cat (the donut one) and re-tightened those spring assisted bolts. Actually broke one of those bolts and had to get a replacement at the hardware store. And of course all the have is STANDARD size, NO METRIC. Started the car. Heard the exhaust leak again.

I did notice that the gasket between the downpipe and cat was made out of some very POURUS material and allowing moisture inside the exhaust to seap out of the gasket. So I took out the gasket and put HI-TEMP black heat sealant all over the gasket and tightened it up. Haven't started the car yet. I want to make sure the sealant is cured first.

But I am glad to hear the little birdies in the downpipe are normal and everyone that runs this system has the same sound.

Any other suggestions?

Anyone else have exhaust leak problems with their installs? Or am I just cursed with BAD LUCK?

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Bird chirping is normal and I love it. It lets me know the wastegate is doing it's thing. :D Here's the response TurboXS gave me when I e-mailed them regaarding this after my install:

Richard,

I'm glad you're happy with our products!

Those noises you're hearing are actually normal and are caused by the wastegate trying to regulate the boost. The reason you hear is early on because the stock turbo spools so quickly and can reach 22 psi by 2500rpm is unregulated. Boost pressure is also regulated to 7psi at partial throttle and therefore you will also hearing it under those conditions.

Hope this helps.

Phil
TurboXS

·
Registered
27 Posts
Exhaust leak

Two ways to check for exhaust leak:

Number 1

Put on gloves. Start the engine. Put your hands over the tips. If the pressure is forcing your hands off of the ends, then you don't have a (significant) leak.

Number 2

Get a leaf blower, and put a towel around the leaf blower and the end of the exhaust. Get someone to "pressurize" the exhaust w/ the blower, and get a spray bottle of soapy water to spray on the joints. Bubbles + leak. (it's still morning, so if this is weird or incomprehensable, let me know)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hear the sound also, but it is not really noticable unless the radio is low or off. I wrapped my DP before installation and have heard this quiets it as well as reducing underhood temps.

-JL

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used the Thermo-tec wrap (p/n 11002). I got the 50' x 2" roll and used a little more than half for the DP following the directions on the package. I then sprayed it with the recommended paint (the pic was taken before I sprayed it). It smoked the first couple of times I drove it. There was smoke coming out of the hood scoop at stop lights.

Note also there is a substantial amount of oil inside the pipe. I believe it is left over from the mandrel bending process. I cleaned out the inside of the dp with some carb cleaner and got lots of metal shavings as well as the oil out. I doubt the metal shavings pose any threat to the turbo, but I really didn't like the idea of blowing them into the fine mesh screen of the new high flow cat. Attached is a pic of some of the shavings. The largest was between 1/4 and 1/2 inch long.

I am happy with the quality of the stealth back system so far. I've measured boost curves before and after the exhaust (otherwise stock) with my pocket logger. Full boost seems to happen about 200 rpm quicker (3000 vs 3200 rpm) and boost below that is higher at any given rpm with the TXS system (as expected). The car does seem to pull better above 5500 rpm. Gas mileage aslo seems better, but it is too early to tell.

-my 0.02 worth of details

edit: boost curves generated in 3rd gear. the stock turbo is generating boost as low as 1800 rpm! edit also for grammar correction.

·
2,210 Posts
With the TXS unit there is an odd looking dimpled gasket that sits between the downpipe and the mid-pipe. I have found that this joint is very prone to leaks which produces a whistling/rushing noise. I used high-temperature RTV to get mine to seal properly. Pull the gasket and see if it has any signs of sooting across the mating face.

Otherwise; yes there is greatly increased noise with the TurboXS unit.

-Pace

·
Registered
170 Posts
MainFrame said:

anyone else do this?
I did. I have read in a thread somewhere that this may not be a good idea though. In wet environments, water may be retained in wrap even with high temps of downpipe = rust, even with stainless steel. I'm going to keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put my system together about a month ago. It consists of the Turbo XS stealth back, and and Blitz NUR spec axle back... Anway I dont notice ANY chirping like I did when the stock exhaust was on. With the stock exhaust the chirping was LOUD. HOWEVER I can hear the turbo spool, wastegate purge, and blow off valve piss, if I stand behind the car and have someone rev it up. I love the sound of the turbo spooling from behind the car.. hehe. sounds pretty neat. But as far as the chirping goes, I dont hear it anymore...

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:

I did notice that the gasket between the downpipe and cat was made out of some very POURUS material and allowing moisture inside the exhaust to seap out of the gasket. So I took out the gasket and put HI-TEMP black heat sealant all over the gasket and tightened it up. Haven't started the car yet. I want to make sure the sealant is cured first.

Pace said:

With the TXS unit there is an odd looking dimpled gasket that sits between the downpipe and the mid-pipe. I have found that this joint is very prone to leaks which produces a whistling/rushing noise. I used high-temperature RTV to get mine to seal properly. Pull the gasket and see if it has any signs of sooting across the mating face
Thanks Pace. I did put some high temp black RTV sealant on that gasket and I don't hear anymore leaks. I was starting to get REALLY pissed, being that it is a BRAND NEW exhaust.

And thanks to everyone else for your comments.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
2,210 Posts
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:

Thanks Pace. I did put some high temp black RTV sealant on that gasket and I don't hear anymore leaks. I was starting to get REALLY pissed, being that it is a BRAND NEW exhaust.

And thanks to everyone else for your comments.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Glad I could help; although it looks like you figured it out for yourself.

Jim calls me 'Gremlin' for a reason: Just about every possible gripe/niggle/problem that can occur with these aftermarket components has affected my car at one point or another and I have generally had to figure out my own solutions. :)

-Pace

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is anyone running this with the stock muffler? I know the stock is restrictive but I'd like to get the stealth for now and the muffler later...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm running the Stealthback now with the stock muffler. You can hear the turbo whine, wastegate, as well as the BOV. From the outside, it sounds very much like stock. . maybe a tiny bit more of a rumble. I just got the TurboXS rear muffler section yesterday and hopefully will install it tonight. :)

Calvin

1 - 20 of 32 Posts