Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am just old...I raced a new Celica GT and a Dodge Stealth Turbo in the last month. Both from running starts. The Celica and I hit it with both going about 50, we stayed neck and neck until 90 and then I slowed down. Was dissapointed I could not pull away. Must be the VVT technology on the Celica??? Any insight out there?

As for the Stealth, we both floored it starting from about 35 and went up to 80, we were approaching an intersection (neck and neck), and I hit the brakes.

The thing that gets me and why you see young kids killing themselves and some others is because they both kept going....Is it just me, or does going over 90 on public roads (that are not empty) scare anybody else?

I am not posting to be a downer on racing. I love a challenge, especially with both cars starting from 0. My previous cars have been a 90 Talon Turbo, 97 328is, and 99 M Coupe, so you know I like to have fun behind the wheel.

But too many kids (teenagers) have seen the "Fast and the Furious" and don't let up on the gas. You can't do much emergency maneuvering at 100mph+

My advice to any teenagers reading this. Have fun with challenges on the street. But don't let pride and being cool get in the way of common sense. You know when you are going too fast and could easily kill yourself or someone else. One slip up is all it takes. Use some reason and good judgement when you are driving fast or racing. If not for yourself, then for whatever car might cross in front of you....

I promise, next time I post, I won't be so serious. It will be about the Toyota Echo whose ass I kicked...ha....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agreed i spanked a z28 and was so ahead i stopped at 65 but then he kept going and almost lost it... american cars dont handle well...

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm totally with you on that. Unless there was no one else on the highway at all, I won't even go over 70 mph (50 mph limit on NYC highways). I mean, even if a minivan wanted to, he could just drive like an idiot and do 100 mph in and out of cars to claim he beat me.

Fun is fun. Needless risk, especially risking others, is NOT fun. A little stoplight race to 40 mph in a 35 mph zone is fun. To keep going till 80 is not only dangerous, but reckless and criminal.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i'm glad someone posted this. i've been a little heavy on the gas lately, and in a few races, i backed off at a little over 100. as far as i'm concerned, on a public hwy, with other cars around, neither of us had any business going that fast. (it was a riced out civic, coffee can exhaust, altezza lights and all) of course i got the ricer flyby...

i'm not that afraid about killing myself. i'm more afraid i'll live, and the family of four that i crashed into all died. how horrible would that be.

drive safe folks,

dR

·
Registered
186 Posts
ya i agree. people have to know theyre limits. its kind of cheesy saying this, but i think anyone can drive as fast as they want if they know when too much is too much. thats what i tell my parents and girlfriend and they think im dumb. but i strongly believe it.

btw: the new celica gt's are slow. i dunno what happened in your race. maybe it was a gts? but even still, theynre not that that fast

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, I think it doesn't take much to be neck to neck with any other car. Especially when you drive stick and you messed up your start. If you go against a VW Corrado G60 with their special auto transmission(I'm not sure of the name) you may loose against an old lady with no experience in drag racing. She will floor it and that's all she has to worry about. A second is an eternity from 0 to 60mph.... too hard to catch up on a such short distance.

·
2,210 Posts
Everybody has their 'comfort level' in trying to beat the next guy. On a clear freeway or interstate mine is only around 110mph, but inner city roads and residential areas are another matter... I wouldn't do more than 60 or 70mph, regardless. I must be getting old too because I remember about 10 years ago racing a car (I was on a motorcycle) at about 90mph through city streets near my home. That was in England though, and the legal consequences are not quite so severe..!

I agree with the guy who said he believes its about knowing your limits. Unfortunately most if not all teenagers vastly overestimate their driving skills. All of my friends except one, had major auto accidents as teenagers. I probably would have too but I had lots of experience driving cars and motorcycles off-road although mostly I was just very, very lucky. Most young people do not consider the consequences of causing a major accident and the likelyhood of it resulting in death. Even if you could deal with the knowledge that you destroyed other peoples lives, the reality in America is that vehicular homicide will have you spending most of your life as RJ's prison b**ch. That thought alone should have most people tempering their speed and aggressiveness on the public highways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts