ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ha ha I bet you thought I found one didin't you?
Well as a matter of fact I didn't, but what in idea. I was sittin at church drawing (don't ask me what the sermon was about) :D
and as I started to conceptualize it seemed very possible to throw another small turbo on the otherside of the engine! Wouldn't that make approx. 304hp or something like that? I t looks doable. There is plenty of space but the intercooler would have to be enlarged. I wonder if the tendency to knock is high though? Yo, if this is workable then watch out Supra's. The fragile tranny will need some work though.
Another thought, has anybody used ceramic wrap on their exhaust system yet? the rex is a very high heat car and doing so has got to increase the engines efficiency.( curb heatsoaking).
Let me know what yall think.;)

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I don't think it'd be worth it. The WRX is a flat four that doesn't spit huge amounts of exhaust in comparison to a JZA180. Even for Supras, some opt for single conversions due to the large amounts of inertia to spin the turbines. Even though the turbos would be smaller, the ratio of inertia for 2 small turbos is greater than a single generally. Then again, I don't know as much as some of the knowledgeable people here. Dan(GOD!) would be able to answer this more appropriately...thus I apologise to wasting net space.

PS-back awhile ago, someone(perhaps wrx4life) mentioned that Rigoli is working on a TT setup, I don't know how that's going though

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
But when Toyota designed the 2JZ-GTE, the twin sequentials, by its set-up (small turbo, then a huge turbo), is made for more overall driveability. By starting with a small turbo, you can minimize lag as the big turbo spools up. The 300ZX, like the Supra, is also a twin turbo, but not (correct me if I'm wrong) sequential. Each cylinder bank gets its own turbo (less complicated plumping for a V block motor). The old 7M-GTE's are single turbo.

Side note: (Plat, I believe Pete Maerz made his 7M-GTE supra into a twin sequential turbo, that with a worn (OE) clutch, it was a low-13 second car. 4-puck clutch later.....mid 12's.)

One of the reasons for (2JZ-GTE) people for do a single turbo system, is to put a huge turbo in for max overall boost, at the expense of turbo lag.

A lot of people only seem to care about max overall boost and hp. But the techs in WRC, (even with the restrictor plates), will gladly sacriface peak horsepower for a broader powerband. And I keep going back to VW's 1.8T for the Jetta/GTI/Passat/A4/Beetle ....for 2002....sure it's turboed, and makes only 180 bhp peak, but torque....about 175 lb-ft from 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm.

So it's whatever floats your boat.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Yeah if I had a 2JZ, I'd opt for the twin setup(preferrably of the HKS GT genre)...but my comment stemmed from the fact that in many cases 4bangers just don't spit enough exhaust to spool 2 turbos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts